Chapter Twenty-Seven

The drive to the school was just shy of reckless. Without a doubt Harry didn't want them waiting for us, he knows Lily would worry. Thankfully when we arrive there are still several students waiting for parents and nannies to pick them up. After we get them in the car and buckled up, we make our way home to take showers and get ready to go out.

We decide to take Lark and Lily out to dinner to tell them about our vacation. We don't have a clue if dropping a bombshell on them that we'll be leaving in three days will be upsetting. It's a toss-up, because they'll be staying with Sam and I'm sure Niall will come over and spend time with them while we're gone, which they'll love. Staying with them will be like a holiday for the girls, they'll be spoiled rotten. However, two weeks is a long time to be without us.

Either way, Harry and I want to enjoy a nice evening out with them before our trip. The pace of life has been moving extremely fast. Most days Harry is busy working on the album with the guys, I'm either working, at therapy or volunteering, and the girls are always busy with friends and school. We're both looking forward to having some family time tonight.

The biggest obstacle at this point is finding a restaurant with any level of privacy in Los Angeles, especially trying to make it inside without being photographed. Unfortunately, even if you find your way in quietly that doesn't mean you'll make it out that way, word travels fast in this city. However, Harry worked his magic and found us a place in Malibu to dine quietly, and they serve food the kids will enjoy too. Which can be extremely challenging when you have two picky eaters.

We're seated at a table in a back corner of the restaurant, the furthest away from prying eyes. Harry sits in between Lark and Lily which has become customary. Both girls seem excited to be out on a school night, this doesn't happen very often.

Lark looks at the menu then stares at me unblinking.

"What is it Lark?"

"Mama this stuff is so expensive. Can we afford this?" She whispers.

Harry overhears our whispered conversation and places his large hand over Lark's.

"Sweetheart, don't worry about the price. Order what you want to eat, I'm taking care of it. And besides, I wouldn't be much of a gentleman if I didn't pay for all three of my girls to have a nice dinner."

Lark giggles and Harry pulls her in for a quick hug of her shoulders.

"Thank you Harry." He nods in recognition.

The girls have become extremely comfortable around him. However, Lark is a lot like me when it comes to money, she doesn't want to feel like she's taking advantage of him in any way. That makes my pride swell like a balloon. Parenting successes like this are rare and I cherish every single one of them. Raising children that are considerate of such things can be an arduous task.

We leisurely enjoy our dinner asking the girls about their day at school. I can see Lily's eyes are starting to get heavy as the time is now 8:30 and she's usually in bed by 9:00. Harry pulls her close to him so she can rest her sleepy head on his arm. She snuggles herself close wrapping her tiny arms around his.

I can't even begin to express how thankful I am knowing how much he adores her, he loves them both the same, but Lily has become especially close to him. Most of the time she's stuck to him like glue, she's his shadow.

"C'mere Puddin', I'll hold you I know you're sleepy. We'll leave in just a little bit."

Harry has grown accustomed to calling them by the pet names he's given them. Lark is Sunshine and Lily is Puddin'.

"Girls we have a surprise for you."

I glance across the table at Harry's attempt to make this sound like a treat for them. I let out a small chuckle while shaking my head.