A Super Domestic Civilian Christmas

Yay! Now that it's post-thanksgiving, I can start posting fluffy Christmas oneshots! Yay! I'm happy. I've got many, many planned for you!

     Note: in this AUish fic, the team is happily settled down, and Daisy decided to go to college, but usually lives with the Coulsons. I'd like to imagine that this all happens after all their SHIELD adventures. Sorta canon divergence. Ugh you get the idea...

   And, also... There isn't really a plot to this fic. But anyway, enjoy!

    -nightsisterkaris

------------------- 

    "No, you have to put the tinsel criss-cross, that or it will look silly." Phil argued with his wife.

    "I don't see why slanting it is such a big deal. We've done it this way for years." Melinda responded, staring at the Christmas tree with tinsel draped, swirling around the branches.

    Reaching up, Phil rearranged his wife's work, stepping back to get a look. "That's better." He sighed. Melinda rolled her eyes.

    "Is that the oven timer I hear? You don't want to burn those cookies you've been bragging about." Melinda smirked as the timer shrieked.

   Phil laughed as his hand lingered on her arm before heading back to the kitchen.

  Melinda smiled to herself, setting the boxes of ornaments beside the tree. Daisy would not be happy if they did the ornaments without her. She was impressed though, when the smell of Christmas sugar cookies wafted from the kitchen. 

   Pushing a couple well-wrapped gifts further underneath the tree, Melinda sighed, satisfied with her work.

    The FitzSimmons's and Mackenzie's and Daisy would be coming over for Christmas Eve dinner soon.

   "Melinda!" Elena smiled as May opened the door. Mack was behind her, gifts stacked high. At least, Melinda guessed it was Mack. 

    The two came in, and Mack took a big breath. "Something smells good." 

   "Which means Melinda isn't the one cooking." Elena laughed. May lightly shoved her friend in revenge. 

   Only minutes later, someone else rang the doorbell. "I'll get it!" Phil called. 

   "Elena, can you help me?" Melinda asked, a stack of china plates in her arms. Elena nodded briskly and followed Melinda to the dinning room. Surprisingly, Melinda was very strict on how her table was set. The plates had to all be the right distance from the table edge, the utensils straight, and folded napkins sprouting from the glasses. 

   The FitzSimmons's came in, chattering with Phil about the snowstorm predicted by the weather channel. "A foot and a half of snow!" Jemma laughed. "We've never had that much here. The radars must be glitching from the cold." 

   But the huge, drab, grey storm clouds from that afternoon begged to differ.

   Melinda nodded with approval at the table, watching Phil disappear into the kitchen. "We brought apple pie. Jem and I made it." Fitz proudly presented Melinda with a ceramic bowl  covered with warm tinfoil. Melinda smiled in thanks as Jemma told her that Fitz had helped cut the apples. (She did the rest)

   Melinda set the pie on the table, and darted into the kitchen to check Phil's progress. She leaned on the door frame, smirking at the scene before them. Peggy, their golden retriever, was laying on the tile floor, Phil stepping over her as he moved between counters, humming Jingle Bells. Peggy was looking up at him, panting adorably as she watched him with adoration, though Melinda was pretty sure it was really because he would sometimes purposefully drop a small piece of food for her to snatch up.