This is impossible; he's a civilian - and my husband!

This is an AU where May is a Spy/Detective, and her husband, a civilian, crashes her mission in the most shocking way, with a little dash of possessive Phil added in for good measure.

    I'm so sorry for the late update. I've really been feeling down since Clark canceled his Sunday C2E2 appearances (and I can't go Saturday). 

   Note: So, just to let you know, The place where I'm from is kinda known for its alcohol, and I get to show off my knowledge of an intoxicant that I don't - and never will - drink. How fun! lol.

   Enjoy!           

   -nightsisterkaris

--------- -:x:- ---------

  "Agent Melinda May." her boss nodded. "We have a mission for you."

  "Yes sir." May straitened, taking off her civilian clothing to reveal her normal leather SHIELD uniform underneath. (SHIELD stood for Security of Homeland International Espionage Legal District.)

   "I need you to infiltrate a party that will be hosted at a possible illegal arms dealer's home." Fury said. "It is this evening at seven. I'm sorry we weren't able to give you more of a heads-up, but we only got intel this morning." 

   "Sir, what will I tell my husband?" May asked.

   "What?"

   "We have a date tonight," May told him, "eight o'clock at a restaurant downtown." 

   "Maybe he will understand." Fury said. "Tell him work kept you late."

   "My husband doesn't know that I work for SHIELD, sir."

   "And we want to keep it that way." Fury squinted. "And Agent May?" He called as she prepared to excuse herself. "Your usual partner, Agent Johnson, was unable to come tonight. We will be replacing her with another agent."

   "Who?" May asked.

   "You will know he's your partner when you see him." Fury informed her. "He will be given a communication watch as well."

   "Yes, sir." May nodded, and her phone vibrated in her pocket. "Excuse me?" she sighed apologetically and left the office to take the call.

   "Phil?" She answered.

   "Hey, babe." He sighed on the other end. "I am. So. Very. Sorry."

   "What's wrong? Are you alright?" Melinda frowned.

   "We have to cancel dinner tonight. Boss isn't letting me go. He had some extra work for me." Phil sighed again.

   "Oh." Melinda shook her head. "I, uh, was actually going to call you for the exact same reason." Melinda bit her lip. 

   There was quiet on the other end.

   "Well, I guess that tonight's date just wasn't meant to be." Phil lightly laughed.

   "I guess so." Melinda echoed. "I love you."

   " 'Love you too, Mel." He said as they hung up.

--- -:x:- ---

   Driving up to the ominous house in the woods, Melinda checked over her fake ID again. 'Heidi Martin, Owner of one of the largest illegal gun factories in the country (And a generous sponsor, if given enough persuasion)'