May Dies in This One

Welp. This is not my fault, you guys. Go and blame @AnayaForever , @Feder0 , @keohnas and @OUAT_MARVEL for voting "May dies" as the most common favorite in the chapter options that I posted on my feed. And yes, there is a bit of Obitine influence. 

   And no, I didn't have the heart to give this a more emotional title.

   WARNING: MAJOR CHARACTER DEATH (obviously)

   Note: if you want some redemption, read the alternative ending I've added at the bottom. But if you want all the raw angst, go on ahead and skip it. 'Cause I personally hate fics where one of my OTP members die. *Contemplates my entire AoS life, with Phil dying every season* Its tough, okay? I literally cried writing this.

    -nightsisterkaris

    --------- -:x:- --------  

   Melinda gave Phil a determined smile, and ran back into battle. Phil followed, her courage contagious. 

   Firing his I.C.E.R., Phil knocked out another HYDRA agent, and saw Melinda engage another attacker in the corner of his eye. Punching the agent, he heard a gunshot, and a crash. Assuming Melinda had killed another HYDRA baddie, he quickly finished off the last two that he had been fighting. 

    Turning around to give May a triumphant smile, he didn't see her.

    But he did hear the sound of ragged breathing, and saw a HYDRA agent standing over May. She was still. Unmoving.

    Raising his I.C.E.R., Phil used his last bullet to shoot down the man. He rushed to Melinda's side. 

    There was blood. Alot of it. He noticed the wound in her side, just below her shoulder. He pressed his hand to the wound, but more of the sticky red liquid just oozed through his fingers. His nostrils burned with the metallic scent, and Melinda was trying hard not to show pain. 

   "Hey, Melinda, you alright?" He asked. Stupid question. Of course she wasn't alright.

    May just rocked her head back and fourth, trying to breathe. Phil noticed the gurgling sound. She had blood in her lungs. In a panic, he leaned down and pressed his mouth to hers, trying to force air into her lungs. But she tasted like blood too. "Come on, Melinda." He chanted silently.

    "Ph..Phil?" She sputtered, her eyes closed. 

    "Yeah. It's me." He said, trying to put pressure on the wound. He carefully poked his finger to it, examining it. He cursed. 

     The bullet had hit her lungs and heart. 

    He freaked out, and scooped her up. "Don't." She gasped.

     "We need to get you to Jemma. You'll be fine." He said. Deep down, he knew he was lying.

    "It'll take... To long..." She said, her breaths getting shallower. "Just.. hold... Me..."

     "I am, Mel." He whispered, collapsing by her side, cradling her body. Her head fell forward against his chest, weak. Phil folded himself over her, hoping to somehow eclipse Melinda with his love.

    "Just.. hold me... close." She breathes.

    He's never told her. Never told her he loves her.

    "Phil..." She coughs. "I've loved... You... Always" She gasped. "I always will."

     He watches the light leave her eyes, the light that he's always loved, always taken for granted. until now.