Real-not-real

This is based off a tumblr prompt, and also, *cue the shrill whistle* "ALL ABOARD THE ANGST TRAIN!!!!!!"

   -nightsisterkaris

--------- -:x:- ---------

    Earlier that day:

     When Melinda May had been called in with Elena to meet in Mack's office, she knew something was up.

   "There is a portal that will be opened soon, and we know when and where." Mack told the two women. "As my most capable and experienced agents, I'm going to be sending you two in with a squad to lead."

   "Yes sir." Elena nodded, taking the file and nodding to May as the two agents left to meet their squad in the hanger.

-:x:-

   The explosion left a ringing in her ears. 

   Dust stuck to her throat, and shards of glass and gravel cut into her hands. A pounding headache drilled into her temples, and Melinda pushed herself up. "You okay?" She asked Elena, who was collapsed beside her.

   "Go." Elena chokes.

    Melinda hauls herself up, standing as she moans from the headache, gripping her forehead and side with her hands. The was a large cloud of smoke and dust rolling down the street toward her. Melinda's vision was still fuzzy, and colors swirled around in the mix, lighting it up.

   Suddenly a huge eighteen wheeler exploded into existence, the fog seeping off it.

   Melinda dove for cover, hearing shattering glass and the SHIELD SUVs being crushed. The truck squeals to a stop, and Melinda can see the back clearly. 

    The door is slung open with a clang, and a figure steps down, sporting nice boots, the pants tucked in. The man jumps down, landing surely. He walks around until Melinda can see his outline.

   Usually an outline she could recognize even in a coma, but that explosion must have really given her some real damage for her to start hallucinating Phillip J. Coulson.

    The figure walks to where one of the agents under Melinda's charge has taken the dangerous young lady captive. But it's Phil's voice that says, "Let her go."

   The agent is confused. "But. . . "

   "I don't ask twice."

    "-you're from SHIELD."

   Phil-not-Phil draws a blaster faster than May can think, and shoots the agent with a colorful red shot, sending  the victim back a few feet. "Never heard of it."

   Melinda is in shock. The pain in her hands and the cut in her eyebrow has lost their sting, but the ache in her head is amplified, giving her tunnel vision that focused on this dead-not-dead man.

    "Mommy?" A small voice calls with desperation. Melinda is standing to the side, but a child's cry breaks her concentration.

   Swinging her eyes to the left to see who was speaking, she stared straight into the evil dark truck trailer. A small girl, maybe five or six years old, half asian, half caucasian, stares at her with the biggest eyes Melinda has seen in a while. The child's hand in in her mouth, the other gripping her black tunic dress as she leaned on the doorframe. "Mommy!" She repeats, turning around to climb down the huge steps and to the cement ground.

   Melinda's lips part and she can't focus on the child and The Phil doppelganger at the same time. The little child starts running on her little stubby legs toward May, but she doesn't make it far, and is intercepted by Phil. "I Flerkin told you to stay in the truck." He says gruffly.