You & Me

"I didn't mean to hurt you

So why'd I let you walk out the door?

You say that you don't know me

You don't know who I am anymore

But if you knew the truth, then

Then you wouldn't feel insecure

'Cause if I didn't have you

I wouldn't have nothing at all"

.

     (Season 1&2)

   She was gone. Melinda May had walked out the door, and for all he knew, hadn't looked back. The Playground was emptier, and it was Phil's fault. He hadn't trusted May, and now he was paying for it.

   It was Phil who had shot her with an ICER and it was Phil who had rejected her. It was Phil Coulson who had yelled, "Don't tell me it's because you care so d*mn much!"

    She had become so vulnerable, confessing that she cared for him and Phil had refused it. Now Melinda was somewhere out in the Canadian Tundra in the middle of winter, and it was his fault.

.

"I wish you could see yourself through my eyes
I always forget that you can't read my mind"

.

    (Face My Enemy [2/04])

   Watching the dress's sparkling glory, Phil decided that he really did like that look. On most women, it would have looked tacky, but on Melinda, she looked stunning. The sides hugged her curves just right. It was made for Melinda.

   They danced, performing the moves with perfect accuracy, her body against his. Melinda pointed out a few cameras as he dipped her down, Melinda's leg wrapped around his for support. Phil took the opportunity, doing his best to keep his eyes up.

.    

"As long as I got you and me
Moving through this world as a two-man team
I'll always have everything I need
You don't even realise what you mean
No one could fall for you quite like me
No one could get me so perfectly
You don't even realise 
You're all that I need
'Cause I want you and me, you and me"

.

     (Post- Face My Enemy)

     He's watching her again.

    She's got that look in her eyes, mischievous and content. Comfortable. Phil can only try to decipher the magnificent enigma that was Melinda May. She sits beside him, occasionally locking eyes and having some understanding pass between them. 

    "Still happy that you punched the fake-me in the face." Melinda smirked.

    "Said she liked coffee, held my hand, stood a little to close." Phil shrugged. "Wasn't getting the right readings." Melinda frowned. "What?" Phil asked.

   "You were bothered by her holding your hand?"

   "It didn't seem like you." He paused, "Although, no, I wouldn't really be bothered."