Chapter 1: bananas

Suddenly air filled my lungs again. That first brisk intake was slightly painful, but still relief washed over me as I realised that I was not dead.

I was alive...?

A second ago, it felt like my head hit the sidewalk with a disturbing crack. I was sure that was the end for me, that I'd died at the age of 19 and had such an uneventful life. But I guessed I survived...

Somehow I managed to cling onto life.

As a resolution for surviving my head being smashed against the concrete pavement, I vowed to the universe that I would be less clumsily. I would become a graceful lady, who walked carefully and elegantly, so that I wouldn't end up slipping on a banana peel on the sidewalk and falling stupidly to my death.

Ever again...

Well, it actually did not count as death because I was so obviously alive.

I looked up and smiled as the leaves on the trees rustled in the wind. Breathing in deeply I enjoyed the sensation of fresh air, something you didn't quite come by often in New York. I could even hear the sound of trickling nearby.

I froze.

This wasn't where I had fallen on the sidewalk, this wasn't even remotely like the city. Right now I was surrounded by trees and nature as far as the eyes could see.

Why on earth was I in the middle of some forest? I should be in a hospital or at least still lying on the pavement where I slipped on that banana peel.

Why was I here? Where was here?

Frantically I stood up and looked down at myself. I was still wearing my black trousers and favourite 'Friends' t-shirt and my Adidas sneakers.

Instinctively I reached for my phone in my back pocket and was elated when I felt the outline of the iPhone in my pants. I took it out and turned it on, thankfully I had charged it, it still had 80% battery life.

I quickly dialled my Mom's number and as soon as I hit the call icon, my phone reported back to me that the number did not exist. I frowned and redialled. Again the phone screen lit up with the 'user not found' message.

What the hell was going on...

I know my mom's number off by heart, and she had not changed her phone number since I was born. I knew that phone number better than I knew any combination of numbers, better than I new my ID or social security or credit card numbers, and I also knew that she always answered when I called. Always. Therefore something was not right.

I opened the contacts app to see if I could call her from there, I was about to search her name when I saw an unfamiliar name at the very top of my contact list.

It said 'God's Office'.

I stared blankly for a few moments at the contact. I knew that I never entered such a contact into my address book. However seeing thatI couldn't get a hold of my mom, I was in some strange forest I had never been to, and I had died on a sidewalk a few moments ago, I threw caution to the wind and decided to give God's Office a call.

A person picked up immediately.

"Hello Riley this is God's Office, how may we help you?" An polite woman's voice answered from the other side of the phone.

How did she know my name?

"Um... I'm sorry, how do you know my name?" I whispered back at her, feeling very freaked out.

"It is the duty of all angels in God's Office to know the details of those who have been reincarnated. Riley, how may we help you?" She answered back primly.