Chapter 8: the Great Gismead - capital of Girannon

General look of Cornelius, just Cornelius has copper eyes as well as copper hair

That night when Lucian and I walked back home together, he had a stiff air about him, as if something was on his mind and he couldn't concentrate on the present. I guess I didn't blame him since tomorrow was a big day for him; both him and I were traveling to the capital city. He was going to be part of the Knight's order and Cornelius had promised to find a place for me in the healing sect of the Royal Mage Society since the whole Royal Mage Society was run by his family, the Marcellus's.

I was excited and nervous and didn't know how I was going to get to sleep tonight. However, the energy I was getting from Lucian wasn't that of nervous excitement it was more of worry and anxiousness.

"What's wrong?" I asked tentatively as we walked on the cobblestone street, the sound of our shoes on the stones echoing behind us.

At first, he didn't respond but after a few moments of brooding he answered me, "I'm worried about you..." he said frowning.

"Why?"

"You're too soft and kind, and you know nothing of the capital or what people can be like, I'm afraid that you will get taken advantage of if you come with us to Gismead tomorrow. Not to mention how powerful you are - both the bad and the good will be drawn to you..." Although Lucian could be so serious and stoic, when I asked him to be my friend and he agreed a few days ago, he really meant it. He was looking out for me and was concerned about me, just like how a real friend/family member would be.

"Thanks for worrying about me. But you don't have to be worried, I'll be fine, I'm all grown up and can look after myself." I said to him reassuringly.

He scoffed indignantly at what I said and countered with, "look after yourself? I found you lost in the woods with no memories..."

"And I found you half dead in the woods completely helpless!"

We both laughed heartily under the stars, a beautiful night sky that I wouldn't have been able to see back in New York.

"But in all seriousness, you have to promise me that you will be careful. Also try not to show too much of your power to lots of people, but don't try and hide your powers from the Royal family because they will probably just find out anyways and you will be in trouble if you are caught lying to them." He said sternly.

"And the other nobles... Is it okay to tell them?"

"Besides the prince, Cornelius seems trustworthy, and Braxton is the prince's aid, so he is also trustworthy, as for the others, you will have to make up your own mind about them."

I nodded, satisfied.

Soon after our little chat we reached the house, we had to inform Elsbeth of the change in plans and of tomorrow's activities. She said that she was sad to see us go, but happy that we both were getting such great opportunities for our future endeavors, afterwards she gave us both a bear hug and sent us off to sleep.