Chapter 41: Trouble stirring in the forest

Lucian, Fitz and Antony left Gismead early in the morning to escort two first ranked nobles who were staying in the neighboring kingdom of Pathagonia back to Gismead. Lucian had been reluctant to miss Riley's exams, but it was his duty to go so he did. He thought that he could possibly stop by her mansion to ask how her exam went after he had completed his mission.

Antony, Fitz and Lucian had left Gismead hours before the sun was supposed to rise and arrived in Pathagonia a few hours after the sun had risen. The trip through the forest had been a peaceful one, and at some point in their journey Antony and Fitz had fallen asleep on the backs of their horses leaving Lucian to be on the lookout.

Once they got to Pathagonia, they met up with the nobles, who had had their own guards with them. Lucian knew That the Lords would be well protected with just their personal guards alone. It wasn't actually necessary for himself, Antony and Fitz to be there. However since they were first rank nobles, Prince Geoffrey insisted on knights from the Knights Order accompanying them back to Gismead.

Lucian, and Antony lead the way in the front of the group while Fitz stayed at the very back to insure they were all safe and that nobody lagged behind.

About three quarters of the way back to Gismead Lucian called for everyone to take a break from traveling. It would also give the horses a chance to replenish themselves.

Antony saw that Lucian looked a bit tense and gave him a hearty slap on the back. "Come Lord Lucian don't be a sad sack!" He grinned playfully.

Lucian tried to smile, but he couldn't ignore the warning bells that were going off in his head. He didn't know what was wrong with him, his shoulders were tense and his stomach was in knots.

He looked around the woods again. He couldn't see anything that was out of place. All he saw were the nobles and their guards relaxed and sitting on the grass, the two carriages that the nobles were traveling in and their fine horses nibbling on shrubs.

The two Lords that he was escorting today were both first ranked nobles, each were promoted to first rank after becoming renowned heroes during the Great war. Lord Baratheon Arkane and his young son Torryn Arkane. As well as Lord Gavriel Xerxes.

Nothing seemed out of place, which frustrated Lucian even more. He had good instincts, they had never been wrong, so then why were they screaming at him to get up and run when he couldn't see any danger...?

"Something isn't right..." Lucian said lowly to Antony as he scanned back over the forest clearing.

"Come now Lucian. This a quiet forest nothing ever happens here..." Antony reminded his friend.

Lucian wanted to believe him, but ultimately he had to trust his instincts. Something was wrong.

Lucian spoke up so that the whole group could hear him. "Come all, we only have a little way until we reach Gismead. Let's get going." He urged.

"Come now boy!" Protested Lord Gavriel. "We've only just sat down to have our luncheon. Let's enjoy the forest for a little while longer."

"My lord, I think it's best that we head back immediately." Lucian replied firmly, he didn't like the Gavriel addressed him as 'boy'.

Gavriel snickered. He didn't appreciate being ordered around by some boy. "And what seems to be troubling you so, boy?" He glared at the young knight, wanting him to apologize for his rudeness.

"I can sense that something is off." Explained Lucian.

"Oh, I see, you can sense something that I can't! I am a hero of Girannon boy, know your place." He practically growled at Lucian. "As if you could sense something that I cannot." He clicked his tongue. "We will remain here until we finish our lunch." Declared Gavriel, determined to do just that.