Chapter 15: The last Match

Two men came onto the arena carrying a new board that showed the pairings for the final two matches. First Alice and Edgar would be opponents. Then the winner of that match would go against me to compete for first or second place. If I were to win that match, I would be the winner of the whole competition. If I were to lose that match, then I would have to fight the loser of the previous match to compete for second or third place.

Before that set of matches began, there was a short break. Some servants brought food (more stew) and some water for us. Edgar ate ravenously, willing his full strength to come back with the more food he ate.

Alice prepared for her match by taking in deep breaths and sipping lightly on the water and only having one mouthful of stew from my bowl. I could tell that she was quite nervous, maybe it was because of the whole crowd full of spectators or the fact that she as representing the Marcellus's. I doubted that it was because she wanted to win though... It wasn't that she was unhappy to compete in the contest, it was just that she didn't particularly want to either. Alice had told me earlier that she was here to represent her family, she didn't mention anything about winning. Edgar on the other hand was dying to win; he had a mission, a dream. This was probably something that he had been chasing his entire life...

"The two mages please come down to the arena!" Called out the announcer.

"Congratulations for making it to the third round! Let me remind the audience of our two competitors. On my left, we have the passionate and courageous Wind and Lightning user, Edgar. And on my right, we have the beautiful and powerful fire Mage from the first rank noble family, the Marcellus's." The crowd applauded for them both. The crowd was split between supporting the distinguished noble or the peasant boy who worked hard to achieve his dream.

"Let the game begin!"

Alice once again summoned her fire magic phoenix, only it was a bit different this time: it was much bigger, much hotter and much more refined than the first time I had seen it. "Father of the Phoenix rise from the ashes and let the world know your might!" The crowd jumped up and applauded. Cornelius caught my eye from across the arena. He looked very proud of his little sister, but not prouder than I was of my friend.

"God of the heavens lend me your power. I beseech you to grant me the storm of all the ages!" With those words a mini hurricane formed in the middle of the arena. The crowd went ballistic with praise and cheers and shouting.

The tornado in the arena started spinning towards the phoenix, and the phoenix flew towards the tornado after letting out one of its ear-splitting screeches. The screech only further pleased the crowd, the crowd was hungry for more magic. I could tell by the way they were reacting that they didn't get to see such displays often. The magic was addictive to them, they wanted more, they craved more. They wanted to see everything these two magicians had to offer.

Then the announcer was so moved by the magical display that he felt the need to begin narrating the matches again.

"Oh! The Gods have blessed these two people! Has anyone ever seen anything like it?" He asked the crowd, really playing up his role as the announcer.

The crowd was so enthralled in it, that they all started answering back at the announcer as if he wasn't asking a rhetorical question. I giggled into my hand as I heard Rosalie and Cedric answer, "No, I've never seen anything like it!" They to were engrossed in the match.

While the phoenix and tornado were battling it out, Alice and Edgar continued fighting, Edgar threw wind scythe's at Alice, and Alice sent fire balls hurtling towards Edgar. The crowd got even louder as they started hurling projectiles at each other. I heard people chanting Alice's name and I heard equally many people chanting Edgar's name.