thirteen; expensive jewelry + anime characters with cat ears [edited]

a resume of the story of how they met - thomas' pov

My feet hit the hard sidewalk as I jog down the street, wind blowing the hair out of my face. I slowed down slightly when the end of the block came into view; this was the last part of my running. I would walk the next block and take a bus or taxi back to NYU.

I stop, looking into the window of a jewelry store. Expensive rings and necklaces sit in front of me, and for a moment I want one. A shiny necklace with a silver moon hanging from it. A boy sits on the moon, a fishing pole in his hands. I smile fondly, beginning to walk again.

I walk past a dark alleyway, and I look into it. The darkness consumes me, which I enjoy thoroughly. But then, a strange sound fills my ears.

I put my hand up to my ears, listening. It happens again, and I take a step into the alleyway, "Hello?" I say softly, and the noise stops, "Is anyone here?" I sigh, taking out my phone and turning on the flashlight. The flashlight lights up my steps as I walk further into the alleyway.

I get to the very middle when I hear rustling from my left. I turn, along with my flashlight, and see a small boy. He's sitting with his legs up, and his face is buried in between them.

"Go away, human." He mumbles. His voice is sweet, but it drips with sadness. I kneel down next to him, sitting against the wall.

"Are you okay?"

The boy's head snaps up. I hold in a gasp, realizing I know who he is, "I'm fine," The boy snaps, then looks at me and doesn't hold in his own gasp, "You're that... the guy from the bookstore," Then, suddenly, his lip begins to quiver, "I-I stole."

I blink, not knowing what to do. So, granted, my awkward self decides to hug him, "Are you okay?" I ask again.

"No!" He yells, then his tears continue to fall. He moves and lays his head on my shoulder, sobbing into my shirt, "I hate this. I hate this world."

"Hey," I whisper, holding his hand, "No. Alex, right?"

He nods slowly, "I-I'm Alex."

"Well, Alex, what happened?"

He shakes his head vigorously, burying it into my neck. For the first time, his hoodie slips off his head. Even as he tries to catch it and put it back on, he's not fast enough. It falls off, and his two ears lay on his head, sad and down. I look at him, he looks away. I put my hand up, and he purrs. Carefully, I put my hands on his ears. He meows, wrapping his arms around me.

"I hate myself," Alex whispers into my stomach, "Do you hate me?"

I try not to react to the cat ears, reminding myself that tons of anime characters have cat ears.

He looks so helpless and he speaks to me like we've known each other forever. I stiffen. He's cute, too. I stiffen even more. 

He looks at me, his eyes wide. I wonder how I found this boy in an alleyway, why he was crying, why he acts like he can say anything on his mind to me. We've never met each other before.

His lip quivers.

"No," I say back, although I'm not really sure what I think of him, "Do you want to... go back to my dorm? I go to NYU."

"If you want." Alex looks at me, biting his lip. I stand up, putting my hand out. He takes it, standing up with me. I suddenly realize how short he is, just nearly reaches my shoulder, but I don't mention it. His face is stained red as I pull his hoodie on.