fifteen; photographs + old memories [edited]

happy thanksgiving 2018

alex's pov

I fall asleep again in Daddy's embrace, much to my embarrassment. It can't be helped though, sleep to me is practically my religion. But when my eyes pop open and I look around, I miss him suddenly.

"Daddy," I whimper to myself, looking around. My foot moves and I hear a crunching noise. Looking down, I see he left a note for me on a Post-It, "No... Come back." I whimper again, wiping my nose with my sleeve.

I read the note;

Sorry, I had to go get food. Even though I seem poor, I realized I actually have money now. Anyway, that is unimportant. I left you asleep because you look so cute asleep and you never like it when I wake you up. I'll be back soon, be a good boy.

I blushed deeply, putting the note back down on the bed.

I had nothing to do without Daddy around, I was stumped. When I looked around his room, all that came of interest to me was the wood box sitting in the corner. I saw it the first day I had come into his room, but I didn't think much of it.

I shrugged, walking towards it.

When I arrived at the box, it almost felt like it was looming above me. I shivered, looking down at it with curiousness and scared eyes.

Kneeling down in front of the box seemed to take forever because I was nervous. When I did though, my hands were quick to push the cardboard flaps open. Holding my breath, I peered into the box.

A photo album.

A photo album with a thick brown leather cover. Carved into it were the words 'Photo Album.' I picked it up tentatively and then dropped it immediately.

"Ow," I whispered, "Heavy." The photo album had fallen on the floor, just away from the box. With my tail, I flipped to the first page and looked at it.

A picture of Daddy and a taller version of him. I realized it was probably his father, and I examined the background behind them.

A blue cushy sofa, the kind that looks very old, as if it had been passed down for many years. Above it was two pieces of art, and they were both beautiful. One was of a flower garden, blowing slightly in the wind. The other was of a girl sitting at a cafe, a closed book sitting in front of her.

Daddy was looking at his father with eyes full of amazement. It was clear that he loved his father very much.

I turned the page on the photo album, taking in the next photo.

Green fields and rolling hills were all you could see. The photo took up the entire page, and I smiled widely. If you looked closely, you could see a woman wearing a flowery dress. She practically blended in.

For some reason, I giggled lightly and skipped a few pages ahead.

This time, it looked like Daddy was in his teenage years. He wore green braces and they looked horrible on him. I giggled again, touching his face with my thumb.

He was at a restaurant in a booth with a boy who looked similar to him. The boy was smiling at the camera happily, and I could tell they were probably brothers. I frowned to myself. Daddy never mentioned his family around me.

I was nearly done with this photo album because it was absolutely useless and contained little good secrets or blackmail I could use.

I skipped to the last page, but I could hardly make out the picture before the door creaked open. I threw the photo album to the box, but it pathetically hit the edge of the box. I whimpered lightly, not wanting to turn around.