Chapter 3 - Saturday Life of Cantaloupe

It was a great Saturday morning. There was a bright blue sky, lovely birds chirping in a distance as they perched on the tree branches, and just a serene scenery that is truly worthy to be admired. This would have been something that Can could witness but he was still sound asleep in his small and comfortable bed. 

Saturday is Can's favorite day because he gets to sleep until noon. During the weekdays, he would be up by 5:30 a.m. to prepare breakfast for himself, his mother, and younger sister. Then he has to get ready and take the bus around 7:00 a.m. to get to the university on time. His first morning class called Anatomy of Ancient Beasts would start at 8:00 a.m. and usually if the bus is always on time, he would be there ten minutes early. Sometimes he wished that he could summon his high-tier carrier beast named Beholder, a one-eyed flying beast, so he could travel to the university within one minute, but her mom forbid him to do so since she wanted him to keep a low-profile. She did not want him to have a terrible life at college like he did when he was a kid.  

Even though L.B.C University is considered one of the most prestigious magical institution in the land, it did not mean that all of the students were from a rich and well-distinguished family. Some students were able to enter the university due to their exceptional abilities and unexpected circumstances. Can, for instance, did not come from an elite family background but he was given the opportunity to study in L.B.C due to his rare and exceptional gift. This unique ability of his is that he is capable of summoning a seemingly unlimited number of beasts of various rarities. Normally for beast summoners, they could only have  a limited amount of beasts that they could summon depending on their level. As the level of one's summoning skills increases, the number of beasts  that this person can summon and their rarity also increase. For instance,  a usual high-level beast summoner has a limit of having four to five summoned beasts. Typically this high-level beast summoner would have one mid-tier or high-tier summoned beast and the rest would consist of low-tier to mid-tier.

In Can's case, he was an exception. When he was a kid and still learning the principle of beast summoning, he was already able to form two contracts with one mid-tier defensive beast and one low-tier miscellaneous beast. It is truly rare for young kids to have such capabilities unless they have support from an elite and well-established beast summoning family. For Can to have such capabilities without any support from the elite is truly exceptional. This caught L.B.C's admission officers' interest. Without any hesitation, they took a note of him and made sure that he would attend the university. Having exceptional talented individuals like Can will surely boost the university's prestige and its elite image.

Can's moment of peace as he was sleeping was interrupted when a sudden loud bang of the door was produced as it was opened. Sudden sounds of high-heels tapping the floor started to get louder as they approached Can who was still covering himself with a blanket.

"CANTALOUPE, I know you're awake!!!" shouted by Can's sister as she pulled the blanket away from her older brother.

"What do you want Ley? It's so early in the morning for you to shout," Can said unenthusiastically as he pulled back his blanket.

"Morning!? It's already noon! Also, did you already forget your promise that you're coming with me today to the other shopping district?" Ley asked as she kept pulling the blanket away from Can.

"Does it really have to be today, Ley?"

"I'm already properly dressed as you can see, so we are going! If you don't want to go then you better pay the money you owe me with interest," Ley said threateningly as they continued struggling with the blanket.

"Ok! Ok! I'm going," Can said as he finally gave up and let Ley pull the blanket away from him completely.

"Thought so," Ley said as Can slowly got out from bed.