3 | The Deserter

A/N : Rex is the best character honestly, can't tell if I'm in love or if I just admire him so so so so so much

💫

The glittering white lights from the endless city outside her window poked in through the drawn blinds. Lights reflected off her skin as she sat meditating late into the night. Her legs were crossed beneath her and her back was as straight as can be.

While meditating, a Jedi is suppose to keep a clear mind, but Dakota constantly finds thousands of thoughts flooding through her brain with no end in sight. It's a distraction. The Jedi Temple was quiet outside her closed door, everyone was asleep for the night.

A single memory played behind her closed eye lids, a memory that she will never forget no matter how hard she tries.

~

Dakota walked to the open double doors of her home, only a small bag hanging from her shoulder. Her older sister ran behind her to catch up and caught her elbow. At the time, Dakota was only ten "You can't do this, you will not leave us like this" her older sister ordered, her grip tightening.

"I don't have a choice" Dakota replied calmly, seeming almost older than her sister in that moment.

"Yes you do, there is always a choice! Leaving our home to become a saber wielding crusader is not the right one" her sister now spoke with a begging tone "You belong here"

"You know as well as I do that, that is not true" she gently removed her sisters hand from her arm, her eyes low "After everything that has happened... " her voice faded "If I stay here any longer, the anger I feel inside may result in me... doing something that I know I'll regret" her sisters eyes widened at her words "That man deserves death, a thousand of them, but if I killed him... I would never forgive myself"

Her sister stared with her bright blue eyes "I... I know that Father has treated you poorly since mother died, but-"

"Poorly? It's so much more then that!" She raised her voice "I've been hurt, emotionally and physically, tossed aside, and betrayed by my own family!"

"Dakota-"

"No!" She snapped, turning away "I have these powers, these force abilities, and I will use them for good. I will not be the cause of our father's death, even though sometimes I really wish that I were" her voice was low "I'll be good, sister. I'll keep this galaxy safe... I don't exactly know where I'll go from here, but anything will be better. And maybe one day when you see me again, I'll be better"

Her sister looked down to the floor, tears welling in her blue eyes "I-I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry for not standing with you and being there for you. I should have done something more. I should have been a better sister to you... and I'm sorry" she cried, her heart aching.