4 | Grievous Intrigue

Dakota stared at the destroyed commando droids, her heart racing a mile a minute

Dakota stared at the destroyed commando droids, her heart racing a mile a minute. Yards behind laid her Captain, shot under her watch. She tucked the lightsaber into her belt and sped back to the men who stayed behind. It felt like the slowest speeder ride back to them, not knowing if the Captain, who could also be considered her friend, is still alive.

How could she have aloud this to happen? How could she dodge the bullet like this and let it hit him? This was caused by her, the feeling of dread inside was crippling. She hopped off the bike once she reached them "Kix" she said urgently, which basically meant that she was asking for Rex's status.

"It's pretty bad" Kix admitted, kneeling beside the Captain. Dakota bent down next to the medic clone, bringing her hand to Rex's forehead. There was still a heart beat within him. He wasn't out for the count yet. The smallest bit of relief flooded through her, but it wasn't enough to satisfy. He was still in danger here "I'd have to remove his armor to see the full extent of the damage"

Her hand was still on him when she said "Those snipers might have called for backup, I'm not sure how secure we are here"

"We're going to start getting picked off one by one, we should find a better cover first" Hardcase added, raising his blaster and taking a look around the field. They all then noticed the large creatures that were approaching them, maybe seven or eight of them.

"Wait a minute" Jesse thought, eyeing the animals "Those critters are domesticated. I think we're on farmland, and where there's a farm, there's a usually a farmer"

"Good observation, Jesse" Dakota complimented, nodding her head "very good"

"Let's find his homestead"

Dakota stood up from her kneeling position, pulling the lightsaber from her belt "Let's move quickly men, I'll find us a surface to carry the Captain on" she walked up to one of the thick trees, passing by a grazing farm creature. It was hardly startled by her presence.

She ignited her saber and delicately cut a smooth piece of wood strong enough to carry a man. The men wasted no time in attaching the wood to a speeder and placing Rex on it. He was still unconscious.

"Everything is alright" Dakota patted the Captains armored chest, not knowing if those words are for him or for her "You'll be alright"

~

The small team swerved through the farm land, keeping a sharp eye out for the home where the farmer would be. It was dusk at that time, with a sun that will soon set across the horizon. As they drove, Dakota replayed the incident over and over again in her mind.