16 | The Blue Shadow Virus

The soldiers dropped from black grappling ropes and into the open hole of the bunker that had been busted wide open by Dakota

The soldiers dropped from black grappling ropes and into the open hole of the bunker that had been busted wide open by Dakota. She stood beneath the smoke and ignited her green double sabers behind her back, prepared to face the squad of droids coming her way. Captain Rex dropped down to the floor beside her, Fives, Jesse, and Kyle all coming to land with her as well "Break off to the sides" she ordered, motioning for them to take cover at the walls of the hallway. She remained in the middle to block the plasma blasts from the droids "We're here to serve as the distraction, keep the droids as occupied as possible"

Captain Rex pressed up against the wall, firing his two hand blasters at the tan battle droids that retaliated back "Destroyers coming up on the right" he informed the squad. Through the grey smoke, the droids could be seen rolling up into the hallway and unfolding before them, their signature circular shield expanding out to protect them. Three of them aimed their metallic blasters at the squad of ten.

Dakota frowned, deflecting a blast that collided with a nearby droid and caused for its head to explode. A few of the clones behind her were shot down. She looked back momentarily in shock as they fell hard. Trooper Kyle was shot in the shoulder and stumbled against the wall. She gritted her teeth in anger, bolting forward on her feet. She bounced from either side of the hallway walls, blocking any blast that came her way. The droids tilted their weapons up to her, taking their focus away from the clones for a brief second. Dakota used the force to pull a pipe from the wall and sent it flying at the battle droids.

Once most of them were broken down by the force of the pipe, she landed on her feet gracefully and force pushed the three destroyers back "General!" Rex called from behind, tossing two circular bombs through the air.

Dakota turned to catch them, then just as quick, sent them rolling on the floor and gently through the blue protective shields. The red light of the bombs blinked and exploded, demolishing two of the destroyers. Dakota slipped through the smoke of the bombs and approached the disoriented third destroyer. She carefully snuck her lightsaber through the blue shield and ignited it, shutting the droid down for good. Rex waited against the wall, searching for the glow of her double-saber which emerged just as he was growing anxious. She walked towards them, her face as casual as ever, with its usual frown.

Rex, and the remaining six clones, ran up to meet her halfway "Kyle, are you alright?" she asked in a demanding tone immediately to the clone who had been hit by a blaster.

"Just a flesh wound, sir" he replied, holding his shoulder with his other hand.

"Stay close to Fives" she ordered, cutting her eyes to the soldier that she just mentioned "and stay close to me" . They all nodded in unison at their General.

Behind the group, the roof started to tremble similar to an earthquake. Dakota stuck her arm out as the troopers prepared their blasters, and she readied her saber for the second wave. However, when the roof collapsed ahead and a familiar figure came into sight, she titled her head to the side with a smirk "look boys, our knight in shining armor has come to the rescue again"