51 | Better or Worse

💫

💫

"Sir, we've reached the coordinates"

"Thank you, Jesse" Anakin nodded in acknowledgement, turning away from the front window of the star-cruiser that had only just exited hyperspace after a long journey back to the Kiros system. A tight frown had been casting his eyes a dark shade ever since receiving the news from the council. The eeriest of stillness had settled on the enormous vessel that was typically bustling with clone and militaristic voices. All that could be heard was the sound of the stars whizzing by and the ominous hum of the rumbling engines.

Anakin walked down the elevated platform and through the sliding doors that revealed Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka Tano standing around the holographic war table. It displayed the last known coordinates of the person that they were searching for, if she even still existed in their universe.

"Do you really think it's true" The clone trooper Jesse asked Kix quietly back inside of the main bridge "I mean, really? Of all the generals?"

Kix thought of her many valiant efforts. On the battlefield and in the space excursions. How she always strived to save as many lives as possible, no matter how small or insignificant. She once put her life on the line for the clones against a rogue Jedi on Umbara, once abandoned her post in the bridge to assist her pilots in the air battle, and once remained behind on the planet Hoth in order to save everyone else. Her hidden compassion was extensive, and it was hard to fathom that it was all over now.

"I don't even want to think of it, brother" Kix replied as he stared out the window, knowing that from this moment on, the 501st would only be serving one Jedi General.

Still, they were grateful for Skywalker. They admired him just as much as they had admired General Ky. He was considerate, tactical, strategic and never took a life for granted. The pair of them led well together, resulting in one of the finest legions in the entire Grand Army of the Republic. But now there was a void, an empty spot beside Anakin that the entire Republic felt.

But if there was one soul who felt the aching pressure above anyone else, it was the esteemed Clone Captain himself.

Rex sat alone in his quarters on the ship, helmet resting on the bed under him and his head pressed firmly into his hands. He knew that this was a potential unwelcome outcome, both of them knew this. That's the risk that he was willing to take, just to be able to look at her as more than an untouchable Jedi General.

Since the moment he first saw her on Kamino, passing by him in the hallway just before the start of the clone war, he knew that she'd become apart of his life.