Chapter 2

I walked into my Philosophy class, and took my normal seat in the back of the classroom. I put my hood over my head as I sat down. I looked around me at the students laughing with their friends, looking so carefree in their designer clothes and exchanging numbers on their brand new iPhones.

*************************************************
*Flashback*

"Mom, I was wondering." I said as I twiddled my thumbs on the messy plastic table in our kitchen. "For graduation, would it be possible that I can get a cell phone?" I looked up at her. Being 17 and not having a cell phone made me feel like more of an outcast than I already was. I asked with hope gleaming in my eyes, but I felt that I already knew the answer to my question.

"I'm sorry honey, but we just can't afford to get you a phone. The extra bill will put us further behind than we already are." My mother said as she looked down at me. Tears threatened her eyes before she walked out of the living room.

I sighed, grabbed my backpack and started my 4 mile walk to school. I needed to print out an assignment for my course, so I decided to stop by the library on the way there.

I entered the library, and greeted Harry, the man who owned the library. He caught me sneaking in when I was 14, trying borrow a book without a library card. He was about to kick me out of his establishment, when he realized that my textbook was from a course his wife was teaching. We started chatting and found out that I was his wife's favorite student.

From then on, he let me borrow any book I wanted free of charge. That was one of the best days of my life. Usually if I wanted to read, I would spend hours in a Barnes and Nobles reading in the corner, leaving a book mark once it was time to leave and hoping that no one bought it the next day.

"Hi Harry!" I smiled up at him.

"Hiya Reb! What book are you looking to grab today?" He asked, smiling back at me.

"Probably some more books on Information Systems. I finished the last one already." I said shyly as I brought out the textbook I finished. For years I've enjoyed reading about computer programming, information systems, philosophy, math, physics, languages, chemistry, and my favorite of all: coding and hacking.

After a short conversation with Harry and seeing how his wife was doing, I made my way to the computers. I logged on, and my curiosity had me going to the AT&T site. Looking through the prices, a frown appeared on my face. There's no way that we could afford this.

"Hey Reb, here's another book on System Integrations for ya! The wife highly recommends this one for you." Harry said as he placed it next to me on the desk. I thanked him as he walked away. I stared at the cover for a few moments.

Maybe there's a way I can still get a phone and not set my family back...

I nervously looked around, and looked back at the site and started to hack into the AT&T database. It was easier than I thought, and only took me a few minutes to get past their security systems. I set up an account for me, and marked it as "PAID IN FULL" for the next 3 years.

I placed an order for the cheapest phone, which I also marked as paid. I had it delivered to the library as to not cause any suspicion at home.

That's still the same phone I use today.

*************************************************

I felt a vibration from my pocket and pulled out my old, outdated flip phone to see who was calling me. Dr. Chet's name flashed on the screen. I immediately answered, worry washing over ever cell in my body.

"Hi Doc, what's the news?" I asked.

"Good morning Rebel. It appears that your mothers condition has gotten worse, she-" Before he could finish his sentence, the phone was snatched away from my hand.

I looked up to see Ms. Jamison, my Philosophy teacher inspecting the phone in her hand before she shut it and ended the call I've been waiting on for a whole fucking week.

I mentally contemplated the pros and cons of bashing her head against the desk until she lost consciousness, or life. Either would be fine with me.

"Miss Simmons!" She yelled.

"What?!" I growled.

"I've been calling you name for 3 minutes now." Her voice was so high pitched I swear my ears were going to start bleeding from the frequency. She was an older woman, who wore clothes too tight and heels to high. Her face was constantly plastered with makeup, giving me the impression that she puts her self image in her looks and appearance. Reading her body language and the way she carries herself, you can tell she's lonely and craves a mans attention.

"Obviously I didn't care enough to answer." I said as I crossed my arms and leaned back on the chair. The class erupted in snickers and whispers. The old hag looked at me for a few seconds, her face held an unreadable expression.

"Whoops." She said as she let go of my phone and it shattered against the tan tiles. "Oh how clumsy of me." She said as her lips curved into a small smile. The class exploded with laughter at my expense. My hands balled into fists, my nails digging into my skin so hard that I felt a drop of blood go down my wrist.

"Since I seem to have your full attention now, would you please tell me about your thoughts on determinism, Miss Simmons." She said as she started to walk to the front of the class, her heel kicking a piece of my phone that was in her path.

Stupid. Fucking. Bitch.

"Determinism vs Free Will has been one of the most well known debates in Philosophy. It questions if our decisions in life determine our outcome, or if it was already predetermined for us. Take for example, you." I said with an evil smile.

"Me?" The old hag questioned, turning around to look at me.

"With you being as old and unattractive as you are, do you think your choices led you to the sad an unfulfilling life you are living right now? Or do you think it was predetermined that no one would ever love and care for you? I'm sure you envisioned your life to be more than what it is right now. So according to determinism, it doesn't matter what choices you make. It doesn't matter what you say, what you wear, or how much makeup you use to try and hide your hideous personality, because you are destined to live a life that will never fulfill you and ultimately spent the rest of your life miserable." I said coldly. The classroom fell silent.

I could tell immediately that I hit her where it hurt. She looked at me, tears building in her eyes. For a split second, I couldn't help but feel as if I crossed the line, but my eyes fell upon the shattered phone and those remorseful feelings were soon diminished.

"Get the fuck out of my classroom Rebel Simmons and get your ass to the Deans Office. NOW!" She yelled as she pointed to the door. I grabbed my backpack and laughed as I walked out the door to Dean O'Conners office... for the third time this week.