Chapter 44

** REBEL SIMMONS POV **

In all honesty, I wasn't sure how my mother was going to handle meeting Dante. She even admitted that for a few years, she thought I was a Lesbian and afraid to come out of the closet due to my lack of interest in boys. But like my kind hearted mother does best, she accepted Dante with open arms and a beaming smile. I couldn't help but laugh at the irony that she embraced a ruthless Mafia Don as if he was a puppy.

I looked at the array of sweets in the quiet cafeteria. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. My mother never ate sweets, let alone would I know what she would like. It made me feel slightly uneasy that she wanted to talk to Dante alone, but to why is unbeknownst to me.

I chuckled at the thought of my frail mother giving my "boyfriend" the intimidation talk I've always seen in movies. You know, the conversation usually made by a over protective father cleaning his shot gun in front of a pimple faced teenager trying to take his daughter out for a dance kind of talk.

Growing more annoyed by my unusual indecisiveness, I grabbed one of everything and piled it onto a plastic tray. I grabbed a set of forks and spoons, and started to walk slowly into my mothers room.

As I reached door number 320, I heard the faint yelling of my mother. I heard the calm, baritone voice of Dante, and picked up my pace. I turned the handle with my arm and opened the door with my ankle to see my frail mother holding a familiar looking revolver, pointed directly at Dante with a hurt expression on her face. Dante was still sitting in the chair, looking relaxed as his hand was rested under his chin.

"What the fuck!" I yelled dropping the tray of sweets to the floor. The two had their eyes locked on each other, as if waiting for someone to make the first move.

"Well?" Dante said coldly as he lifted his arms to the side in surrender. His face still completely void of emotion.

My mother's hand started to tremble as the gun shook in her hand. Tears streamed down her face as she looked at Dante, then to me with a pained expression.

"Fuck. I can't." She said as she dropped the gun. Dante quickly walked over and gently removed it from her shaking grasp, and tucked it in his waistband.

"Mom. What the hell is going on?" I said as I walked over to her side of the table.

"Honey, I'm so sorry. I'm so so so sorry." She said as tears streamed down her face. She looked at me, her tears reflecting the faint red glow of the lights on her face...

Wait... what?

"Get down!" I screamed. In an instant I pulled her off her bed and away from the window, realizing the red dots on her face were from multiple sniper rifles.

I cushioned the blow of her fall by turning so I was directly underneath her, and quickly ripped out the monitors attached to her skin. The window shattered as bullets rained down into the room. Dante ducked down, and kicked a large monitor in front of the window, blocking the view for the distant shooters. He then army crawled towards us, grabbed my ankle, and dragged me and my crying mother under the hospital bed, blocking us from the glass raining down into the room.

He quickly got out his phone and made a call, speaking in rapid Italian. The sounds of glass shattering and bullets ricocheting around the room rendered me unable to hear what Dante yelled into the telephone. 

"I have a specialized medical plane waiting for us at the airstrip. All we have to do is just make it out of here and to the car. I have no men here, so we're on our own." He said over the noise as he pulled me closer to him. I looked under the seat I was in, and saw my backpack laying under a piece of a monitor. I gently placed my still crying mother on the floor and crawled over to it. I grabbed the backpack and pulled it underneath the bed, narrowly avoiding a ricocheting bullet in the process.