Sobered Up

Rhett felt him before he heard him. The vibration against his chest followed quickly by the sound of a guttural groan, and he was sure that Link was feeling the after effects of the copious amount of alcohol he insisted on slugging back. He tightened his grip, settling up their bodies so that he was the perfect form fitting big spoon.

"You okay, buddy?" He asked quietly, hoping that the sound of his voice wouldn't spawn a migraine.

"No. I'll never drink again," he wheezed, shuddering with every word. "I'm cold."

"You've got the alcohol shakes. You hit the bottle pretty hard last night. Can I get you anything? Toast? Juice?"

"You're gonna make me puke. Please don't ever mention food to me again. I'll never eat again, so long as I live."

Rhett complied. He wouldn't mention food or alcohol or anything else, praying that Link didn't remember their conversation. He couldn't stand the way they left things off the night before. Hated that Link felt unloved.

"Was a good show last night, huh? Did you have fun, Bo?"

"From what I remember, yeah. It was a lot of fun. Thank you, Rhett. I mean it. I really appreciate the effort." His voice was hoarse, like he'd gargled gravel and shattered glass. His eyes felt much the same, searing pain that went all the way around his skull, a desperate attempt from his body to plea with him to keep the toxins away.

"I'm glad we were able to go. I love... spendin' time with you, Link. Every minute of it." He didn't want to trigger any memories, but it was hard for him not to try to make Link feel better.

"Me, too. Even when I turn out sick as a dang dog."

"We've got a little bit before we have to check out. You wanna go back to sleep? I can wake you up later..."

"Thanks, Rhett, but I think I'd rather lay here with you for awhile."

With a small amount of effort Link was able to turn around so that they were face to face, eyes shut tight in the fear of how bright it might be in the hotel room. It allowed Rhett to look at him without it being known. It was hard for Rhett to not slide over off of his pillow and onto Link's and kiss him for hours.

"Take a picture," Link mumbled, still not opening his eyes. "It'll last longer.

"How the heck did you know that I was lookin' at -"

"I know you just as well as ya know me."

Rhett caught the faintest part of a chuckle in the back of his own throat. Link was right.

Off and on through the morning they dozed. Rhett was awake more often, and enjoyed watching Link slowly turn back into the person who he always was. The blue eyes turning clearer each time he would groan another 'mornin'. The hugs were tighter, and the kisses longer.

Life was moving at such a slow pace while they laid there, soaking in each other's warmth and lips. The slow and steady heartbeats calling out to each other that they didn't realize was possible. With a tremendous amount of effort and the promise of warm oatmeal was the only reasons that Rhett could finally get Link to leave the bed.

"I need a shower. Do you... do you think you might wanna get in with me?" Link asked hopefully with with eyes and a nervous twitch at the corner of his lips.

"That's... well that's somethin', don't you think? You sure you want that?" It wasn't that Rhett didn't like the idea, it was that it was a new level of intimacy that they hadn't yet experienced.

"I'm sure. I don't want to waste the time we have alone."

"Alright. C'mon."

Rhett stripped unceremoniously. Link didn't have the need, he'd taken care of that the night before. The warm water was a breath of fresh air, soothing tense muscles and the steam cleared their heads.