Better Together

R: (7:51am) I have a surprise for you, but you're going to have to ready to leave your house today at 10:00a.

L: (8:02am) You're up early, and that's later than we usually get to the office, you know. Forget that 9 comes before 10?

R: (8:04am) I know how to tell time, Neal. Can tie my shoelaces up like a big boy, too. We're not heading to work until later this afternoon. Relax, the crew already knows. Make sure to wear something comfortable. I'll be there at 10.

It was the first time in the last couple of weeks where Link was slightly nervous about seeing Rhett. They had been moving slower than before. Trying their best to take time with themselves and each other. The little diner was the new place where they were able to relax more, hands held first under the table. Then, little by little their fingers would more north until they were resting connected next to their plates of scrambled eggs and and sausage patties. They would even venture small pecks on the cheek when Donna would bustle away to refill their coffee, her small smile telling both of them that she was fine with their secrets.

But it sounded like whatever Rhett was planning has nothing to do with a hearty breakfast. Link moved fast to change into a relaxing pair of dark blue jeans and a dark grey Star Wars shirt. He adjusted his glasses and hair too many times to be anything but nervous primping, and he chuckled at himself.

By the time Rhett got there Christy was long gone taking the kids to school, and opening the door Link was able to pull the taller man in for a proper good morning kiss. Their lips connected in an instant, with Rhett smiling at how tightly Link's arms felt around his neck as he held him so close. Rhett's long legs were wrapped in khaki colored pants and a light blue shirt with a horse galloping through what looked like a small river.

"Mornin'," Rhett said, once their foreheads met. "You look great."

"Not so bad lookin' yourself, either McLaughlin. Who you trying to impress, today?"

"Pretty sure I just kissed him."

Link sighed as he continued to look up into the green eyes. The feeling still so new and incredibly different. It's not like Link has never peered at Rhett from this angle. It was just a side effect from your best friend being 6'7, but the way that Link was being looked at now sent shivers down Rhett's spine. He was wanted, and badly wanted at that.

"You want to kiss him again, don't ya?"

The large hands pressed into the small of Link's back as their mouths met again. Eyes closed they felt where they wanted to go next instead of thought, with the fevered swirl of their stomachs guiding their minds to places where they would need so much less clothing.

"We better get goin' before I end up losin' my self control," Link mumbled against the other set of lips.

"Yeah...good idea."

Link was jittery in the passenger seat, fingers drumming on thighs and toes tapping against floor mats. He bit at his lip and traced the skyline with his eyes, trying to figure out where they were headed, a secret Rhett kept closely guarded.

"Come on, man. Just a little hint?"

"Chill out. You'll see when you'll see."

Link huffed and aligned his spine with the seat of the car, settling into the warm leather. They headed near the edge of the city, past the buildings that blocked the view and the smog that hung thick in the air. Something outdoorsy, Link guessed, though what it could be remained a mystery.

"You know I hate surprises, Rhett," he tried again, but was only gifted a passing glance and a warm hand against his own.

"No you don't. You say you do, but you're full'a crap."