Slowly Becoming More

It was Rhett's day with his boys, and for that, Link was incredibly grateful. Though he missed him anytime that he was away, he knew that anytime spent with any of their children was precious and vital to their well being, and he couldn't help but feel happy for his partner.

He also felt a little nervous, because it was six months to the day that Rhett had first kissed him. Six months ago this entire crazy, wonderful, perfect catastrophe started, and Link wanted to mark the occasion with something special.

He knew that Rhett had mentioned paddle boarding, and anytime he got in the ocean, he came back ravenous. And that left Link alone in the kitchen, with grand plans to cook a full meal for when he came back. The problem was, cereal wasn't considered a full meal, and he could do little else.

Their kitchen was small but still intimidating. The cabinets and freezer were full of ready made meals for the microwave. Rhett had been prepared to live with stove topped dinners being something long lost to the love of Link's lips against his. Besides if Rhett really got craving for food not out of a box they could eat at a nice restaurant.

Tonight was going to be different though. Link already had a plan in place and a incredibly simple recipe for spaghetti and and meatballs opened up on a cooking app on his phone. Checking the temperature a few times to make sure that he got it right a top priority, and soon there were actually delicious smells coming from saucepans and a rolling pot of boiling water. A quick text was next to make sure that Rhett wouldn't bring anything back on his way home.

L: (3:20pm) Let me know when you're on the way back. Don't buy any food for us.

R: (3:23pm) No food? Man, these kids tired me out something fierce! You trying to starve me?

Link rolled his eyes as he continued to explain.

L: (3:24pm) Not trying to starve you. I'm making us dinner from scratch.

R: (3:25pm) That talk we had about you not getting near fire sources. You do remember that talk right?

L: (3:26pm) Eat it or don't.

L: (3:26pm) Jackass.

R: (3:28pm) Love you too baby ;)

Link huffed out a laugh and tossed his phone on the counter, lost in his thoughts, reflecting over the past few months. It seemed an impossibility that things had fallen so gracefully into place for the two of them. Truly, he didn't feel that he deserved everything he had; a decently amicable divorce in the works, kids that stuck by him, and his best friend whom he loved more than life itself. He was lucky, almost too lucky.

He sat down on the couch, intent on occupying his time with some nonsensical show until I was time to pull dinner from the stove and plate it up for Rhett. He couldn't wait to serve him a hot plate and a smug smile. The jerk. Link didn't need constant supervision, really he didn't.

He woke up to the harsh pierce of a smoke detector, jumping from his place amongst the cushions in favor of rushing toward the screaming pans still on the stove.

"Shit!" He was just able to screech and toss the offending metal into the sink with a splash of cold water, when the front door opened and rapid and heavy footsteps found their way into the kitchen.

"Surprise!" Link laughed, and stretched out into his best pose, but the smile faded and tears took over. "I ruined it, just like everything I touch."

Rhett sighed as he dropped his bag to the floor and headed over to hug Link as tight as he could. The smoke wasn't too bad if you considered that at least the House wasn't technically on fire.