Lollipops and Basketball

The sun was hot on my skin. Blazing, actually. I began to wonder why would I ever leave the comfort of my AC blasted home. Then I remembered that strong jawline, and continued walking with my best friend to the community park.

"Girl this sun is killing me." My best friend Lexus continued fanning herself like the sweating church ladies on Sunday mornings.

"I know, I'm heavily considering turning around." I responded a frown on my face.

"Now why the fuck you lying. You know damn well you would head to the park in two feet of snow if that meant you got to see him." She was loud. She always was. I shook my head in embarrassment, a blush crept across my face. She was right. She always was. I was excited to see him. I hadn't seen him since the last block party of the summer. Avoidance wasn't the word, I just wasn't sure if he wanted me the way people told me he did.

The sidewalk was hot underneath my sandals. I was glad that I had opted to get my nails done yesterday, I always tried my hardest to look well kept. Even if my circumstances looked otherwise. I pulled at my shorts as if my attempts could make them longer.

"If you don't stop. You look good. I promise. He couldn't keep his eyes off of you at the block party last week. Or his hands." Her eyes soft as she glanced over at me. Of course she would say that, she's the one who dressed me. It's easy for her to say things like that. She always looked good. Like a slightly darker version of Rihanna, her hips swayed gently with each step. Perfect.

How could you ever catch your man standing next to her?

"You sure? Maybe these shorts are doing too much." I looked down at my thighs as they subtly juggled with each step. "I don't want to seem too eager." Lexus rolled her eyes at me.

"It's hot as hell out here. You're wearing shorts because thick girls get hot too. If someone wanna say something let em. I got something for them." Her face was scrunched up in irritation. I smiled at her.

"Thanks Lexus. You look bomb as hell too." She smirked and mini twerked on the street. Tongue out and everything.

We finally reached the park, we could hear the little kids screaming on the broken down 'playground' at the other end. The swings creaking under each sway. We entered through the broken fence and walked toward the damaged but salvageable benches.

Every thing about the park screamed decrepit, dilapidated, worn out. The playground consisted only of a slide, rusted monkey bars and a swing set- with one working swing. The basketball court had cracks running through the pavement and the hoops were rusted without nets. This park needed some work, it was worn out, but the people that used it is what made it come alive.

Once Lexus and I sat down I allowed myself to observe the players playing ball on the court. Their brown skin covered thick muscles shimmered and glistened in the California sun.

Your breath catches when you make eye contact with him. He seems to notice how your body tenses at the awareness of his presence. He smirks and checks the ball into the game. Heat creeps up your neck in response to his acknowledgment.

"Girl I don't know why you don't just let Erik clap them cheeks. It's clear he's feeling you." She said to me keeping her eyes on the game.

"Clear to everyone but me." I rolled my eyes and pulled two blow pops out of my bag and handed her one. This was our summer tradition, lollipops, gossip, and men in the sweet summer heat. Since we had been away at college we hadn't really had the chance to come here as often. But we decided to make a change once we heard the boys were in town.

I unwrapped my lollipop and popped it in my mouth.

"Besides, I'm not his type." She kissed her teeth but said nothing back. We watched them play for about thirty minutes only cheering when someone got juked or dunked. We talked about the white people that were moving into the old houses just blocks away. And how they thought this area was so "trendy". We spoke on Tasha's baby Daddy and how Lexus saw him up under Gina at the block party. We talked about everything under the sun.

I glanced over at him again as he ran up to the hoop to take a shot. The muscles that wrapped around his arms stretched deliciously, sweat covered his body. The shirt he wore rose up on his stomach to reveal scars that looked like small keloids covering his stomach. I pulled the lollipop out of my mouth as I turned to Lexus to ask her if she saw what I saw. Only to see her talking to Winston, smiling all up in his face. She looked back at me waved and winked. At the moment I knew I'd be walking back home alone. The game was over anyway.

I stood up to start my trek back to my mamas apartment 10 blocks away. I popped a Cherry lollipop in my mouth. Once I made it to the other side of the court before I heard a deep voice shout my name. Stopping to turn around I saw Erik grab his gym bag.

"Wait up." He quipped. I leaned against the fence and waited for him to come over, twirling the lollipop in my mouth. My body screamed in excitement while I tried to keep control of my facial expressions. When he finally walked up to me, I held my hand above my face to shield out the sun while looking up at him. He towered over me and smiled. Gold glinted in his mouth, his eyes roamed my body from head to toe and back again. He bit his lip and my stomach flipped.

"Wassup?" I pulled the lollipop out of my mouth to speak then put it back.

He smirked at me, almost like he knew I was flexing.

"You got anymore?" He gestured to the lollipop. I shook my head no. A full smile broke out against his face, dimples and all. "Damn." He took the lollipop out of my mouth and popped it in his.

"That's too bad then."

My eyes widened in shock. I know this nigga did not just take my last lollipop from out of my mouth.

"What the fuck Erik?!" I semi shouted. He chuckled, his once braided locs swinging in conjunction with the movement.

"What, ya momma never told you that sharin was carin?" He bit into the lollipop, I could hear it break into pieces. He threw the stick away. I watched him move closer to me, his body language screamed predator approaching its prey. His hand slid around my neck. Erik watched how my body received his touch, a small smirk graced his lips. He bent down to reach my lips, he kissed me deeply tasting as sweet as the lollipop he'd stolen. The kiss was hungry and slow, felt like he was trying to swallow me whole. His tongue skillfully slid into my mouth. He smiled into the kiss once I began kissing him back. His hand tightened on my neck and I moaned in response.

He pulled back and regarded me with lust filled eyes. His tongue skirted along his bottom lip. He pressed another simple kiss to mine and stood back. His hand slowly moved from my neck. I watched his jaw work as his tongue moved a piece of the lollipop to the other side of his mouth. He jerked his head toward the exit, in a lets go gesture. I smiled to myself knowing that I wouldn't be sweating just from the summer heat this afternoon.

It wasn't until I felt his arm wrap around my shoulder, in a show of possession, did I notice the piece of cherry lollipop that was in my mouth.