Invisible Girl

Ever since her high school graduation, things had been different. She was determined to make college different. Everyday she walked to the same coffee shop before heading to class. She ordered the same cup of jo, usually from the same barista. She could never understand why it took her ten tries everyday to get their attention. When she was in line people usually walked into her as they couldn't see her. But he could.

When she went to class, very seldom would she raise her hand, it didn't matter anyway, because the professor never called on her. Even if she were the only one with her hand up.

She couldn't hail a taxi for her life, so she usually took the train. But even in those moments when she felt normal as if she belonged, there was always a stranger that tried to sit on her.

"Sorry ma'am, I couldn't see you there." They always whispered in a confused tone, their eyes never reaching hers.

She often wondered if she were a ghost. She shook her head in response to that thought. No way.

Sometimes she would go to the school pool. Swimming laps always helped her clear her mind. But after the fifth time of someone taking over her lane while she was in it, the pool was no longer a sanctuary. Besides, the one time she fell in the pool and hit her head, tainted her view of the place. Especially when none of the lifeguards or other patrons came to check on her.

She tried to remain positive, constantly telling herself that things could change. That they WOULD change. One day people would start to notice her. Her job at the library helped keep her sane. At least her she couldn't be ignored, that's what she told herself. She only got the job because of work-study. And the interview was one on one, there was no way she could be forgotten in those situations. The panel interviews she had before for the camp counselor job she really wanted at age 15 was the worst interview she'd ever had. 11 other girls in the same space, she didn't get the position because she wasn't memorable. She never was.

The library was her happy place she would stay there all day if she could. She watched a handsome boy approaching the check out desk at which she stood. His gaze straight on her. She felt a tingle in her belly, is this what they called butterflies. His smile bright, his teeth brighter, and his skin a smooth dark caramel. She smiled in response ready to answer his questions, whatever he needed help with.

But when he stopped at the check out computer just to the right of her, something broke. She watched as his smile deepened, and he held his books out to the co worker next to you. She'd always been pretty, always pulled guys at work, so it's no surprise that this guy was drawn to her too.

So why did this hurt more.

She returned to her off campus apartment by herself. And for the first time in years she let herself cry freely. A sobbing mess, she made no attempt to stop the ugly cries that left her mouth. She slid down the back of her front down until she met the ground with a thud.

She was always passed over, there was always something better. Always mediocre, average, okay, basic, boring. She was never chosen for any of the high school teams she tried out for. Had a really hard time keeping friends, hell even her own family failed to keep in touch with her. There was always someone prettier, skinnier, thicker, smarter than her, no one ever had a crush on the quiet girl.

She was alone. Invisible.

She fell asleep on her couch where she stayed for a few days. No one ever came to check on her. When it was Monday again, her alarm bleeped loudly, scarring her out of a peaceful dream. Groggily she slumped her way to her bathroom and got ready. Usually her shower would energize her. Today it did nothing. She pulled on her clothes pulled her locs into a bun and headed out.

Every day she walked to the coffee shop before heading to class. And today was no different, except that it was. She felt a pair of eye on her on the way to the coffee shop, when she was finally inside she felt safe enough to casually look around to find the eyes that were on her. When she found them her heart pounded.

Erik. He had been a Graduate Assistant for her freshman statistics class. The only one who ever paid attention to her.

He smiled shyly. His eyes dancing in delight. His hair was longer, he'd loc'd it similar to her. She hadn't seen him since her second semester at school. She knew he was an out of state student. She only assumed that he had gone home once he was done with his studies. But here he was waving her over, holding out a cup of coffee to her. She hesitantly walked over, cautious of the fact that he might be looking at someone else. Or a ghost.

She returned his smile when she came closer. His smile grew bigger, his dimples made an appearance, her knees grew weak. He handed her the coffee and gestured for her to sit, pulling the chair out for her. She gently sat and looked at her handsome old friend. She was happy to see him again, especially with the way her mind had her feeling the past few days.

"Hello, old friend." His accent dripped of his sentence. His smile glinted gold. His slugs a staple whenever they hung out outside of class.

"Hello, where have you been? I missed seeing a friendly face on campus."

"Wakanda needed me." He spoke confidently. She nodded in response not pressing the issue. She knew of the country his family was from and that his family was involved in the politics there. But he never told me more than that. And she never wanted to push him away so she made sure not to over step my bounds. He was a friend. Her only friend the last thing she wanted was to run him off with too many questions.

"Well... you look nice." He was dressed in what She assumes is a traditional Wakandan suit. It fit him well. She was used to seeing him in ripped jeans and a plain white tee. A jacket would always adorn his broad shoulders

"As do you." His eyes glanced over her body appreciatively. She blushed in response.

They spoke for awhile diving back to that place they were at their freshman year easily. She ended up skipping class, so that She could walk around the local park with him.

Side by side they relaxed as the sun warmed up their shoulders. Their hands occasionally bumping each other. Bashfully She'd glance away from his alluring stare.

"Tell me. Why do you always look away when I look at you." He asked quietly stopping under an old Oak tree. His body turned to face her, his hand slipping up to gently grab her chin, forcing her to face him.

"You tell me, why are you the only one who seems to SEE me." She whispered in response, her chocolate brown eyes searched his in desperation. He smiled quietly, almost as if it was meant for him. Then it grew bigger his gold canines glaring at her. His voice barely a whisper, the wind almost carried it away, a laugh followed his words.

"Only the dead can see each other."