The other parents

Trigger warning, homophobia.

About a month after the halloween party, Lance and Keith hadn't had any more obstacles. They had fallen into a routine of Lance going to Keith's house and them walking to school together, then going to Lance's house after school. They were pretty much eternally holding hands and we're always as close together as possible. One day, after school, they were holding hands and walking. They were on their way to Lance's house when they stopped and sat on a bench, because Keith felt tired. Lance insisted that anytime Keith felt even a little bit tired, he had to tell Lance immediately.

It was late November, right before Thanksgiving break, so it was pretty cold. Lance shifted as close to Keith as possible. Partly to warm up, partly to be close to Keith. Keith's nose was red from the cold and his cheeks were rosy. Cute. He grabbed Keith's face and kissed him. He didn't want to stop. He just wanted to sit there, kissing Keith forever. Unfortunately, the kiss was cut short by an angry yell. "KEITH KOGANE!" They both pulled away. "Fuck." He muttered. They looked up to see Stacey and Brian across the street. "Fuck, fuck, fuck." They both stood up as if they could pretend they weren't just kissing.

"CAN YOU BELIVE THIS STACEY?" Brian yelled. "This boy that we so generously adopted. Out on the street with some, boy." He gestured at Lance. "He has been under our roof, committing immoral acts. Being a homosexual. Ignoring the word of the Lord." He scowled at Keith. Keith's eyes were filled with rage, but he said nothing. "Did we raise you to be a faggot, boy? No, we raised you to be a good catholic child, but look what you are now. Lord, I should send you off to that camp for boys like you. But God knows I'm not letting you back in my house. Filling the place up with sin. No, I sure don't think so boy. You can go out on the street, you and that little mutt of yours." Stacey yelled at him. "Brian, go empty his room and put everything on the sidewalk outside, I don't want any reminder of this boy in our house." She said before she finally walked away.

Through the entire lecture, Keith didn't say a word. Once they were out of earshot, he fell apart. Lance expected him to yell or say how much he hated them, like he usually did when something bad happened. Instead, he just cried. Not angry crying either, the only thing he could see in Keith's eyes, was utter despair. From what Lance could tell from the way Keith talked about them, he hated his adoptive parents, so why did he have such a strong reaction.

Keith was pretty much sobbing. His knees were pressed to his chest and tears ran down his face. Lance put his hand oh Keith's shoulder. "Keith....it's okay, it's gonna be okay." Keith shook his hand off his shoulder. "No, it isnt." He put his legs down and out of the little ball he was curled up in. "You should just go." He said, harshly. The words hit Lance like a speeding train. He almost started crying himself. "Keith...."
"No, Lance. You should go. You, Pidge, Hunk and everyone else. I'm bad luck."
Lance understood now. It wasn't about Stacey and Brian kicking him out, it was about the action. The fact that he was so bad as a kid that he wasn't even worth the money they got for "raising" him. Lance refused to let Keith feel like that. Not now, not ever.

Lance placed his frigid hand on Keith's shoulder, turning him so he could look him in the eyes. "Keith, you are one of the best things that has ever happened to me. There isn't anything wrong with you. Do you hear me? You are perfect. Even if your hair is a little shaggy and you wear too much black, you're still perfect. All that stuff is what make you who you are. It's not your fault Stacey and Brian are like that." Lance said as he squeezed Keith's shoulder. Keith still looked a little bit like a kicked puppy, but he had stopped crying. Suddenly, the crying started again, but it was a different kind of crying. Less of a miserable crying, more of a "I am feeling so many emotions right now that I can't process, so I'm just gonna cry." Crying. He let the tears run down his rosy cheeks as he pressed his face into Lance's jacket.

"It's gonna be okay."