-twenty eight-

Tony POV

  She was right, it was only a matter of time. My blood toxicity was at 87% and the medicines she gave me weren't working out too well. They were keeping the symptoms at bay but they weren't curing anything.
-
  I was burning through a piece a day and every piece I took out was more and more toasted than the last. You know, she was right. I trusted her more than anyone else in the world.
-
  I didn't know. I didn't. I knew everything else in the world, but this was one thing I couldn't decide on. She was a licensed surgeon and has done open heart and chest surgeries.
-
  I paced back and forth weighing the pros and cons of each situation. It would make me less vulnerable to, you know, death. But it would also mean someone poking around in my chest.
-
  She was offering to do it for me. She wanted to help me. I kept shooting her down but maybe I should just go through with it. It wouldn't hurt me, well shit, yeah it really would.
-
  I think I'm going to do it. If she's that concerned about my well being and is offering to then I think I should. I need a second opinion before I do anything drastic.
-
  Pepper doesn't know, so I'm not going to alarm her now. Rhodey found out accidentally a little while back, maybe I'll go ask him.
-
  I went down to the garage and chose one of my favorites, my Audi R8. Rhodey was... somewhere? Jesus, where the hell did Rhodey say he'd be?
-
  I went to his house and thankfully he was there, I didn't feel like going on a treasure hunt. I parked in his driveway and made my way to the stairs. He opened the door just as I was about to knock.
-
  "What do you want Tony?" He apparently was not in the mood.

  "I need a second opinion on something. No jokes."

  "None?"

  "None."

  "Alright," he opened the door a little wider and stepped to the side, indicating for me to go in.
-
  "So?"

  "My Arc Reactor."

  "What about it?"

  "You know Athena yeah?"

  "Athena Star? She's only the biggest medical genius in the world, yeah I know her."

  "Well she's a bit more than that. Athena Ellanoire Stark is actually my younger sister. We're twins."

  "You said no jokes, cut the bullshit."

  "I'm really not joking, want her number to ask for yourself?" I pulled out my phone.

  "Whatever man, I believe you. Anyway what about her?"

  "Well she found out about the Arc Reactor and was not very pleased."

  "Okay...?"

  "She gave me all sorts of medicines to take to get rid of the palladium poisoning I have but nothing really worked too well."

  "Did you actually take them?"

  "Yeah. Anyway, she offered to do the surgery to take it out."

  "Shit, really?"

  "Yeah, I don't know what to do."

  "I say go for it."

  "Yeah?"

  "It's only been killing you more Tony. If she's that concerned, go for it."

  "Thanks Rhodes."

  "Can I have her number though?"

  "God Rhodey, that's my baby sister!"
-
  I walked out of his house and started the drive back home. I called Athena and it rang once before she picked up.
-
  "Anthony?"

  "I'm gonna do it."
---