Away

"Do you have your Passport? Your ID? What about your carry on bag?"

"Jennifer. Breathe. I've traveled alone before, I'll be fine."

I stand across from Brad, a huge mess, not ready physically or emotionally for him to leave me alone with a teenager and wild two year old. Especially not when my morning sickness has started and I have to force myself to do everything when I feel like absolute shit.

"Everything is going to be fine. I've talked to Nols about listening extra good to you, Willow is here to help... mostly at least, and Sherry and my mom both offered to help. You'll get through this. I hate leaving you, but it's my job."

"Go have fun. Be amazing, just don't do anything dumb and get eaten by some wild animal. I want your kids to know you growing up."

"Don't worry. I can't let this one not know who their incredible father is."

The house almost feels empty as he packs his bags, lighter from half his wardrobe gone already. Knowing I won't be waking up next to him for the next month or two kills me. He's really my rock, and I feel like I need him now.

"Dadda no go." Nolan runs up to us, attaching himself to Brad's leg "You stay."

"Daddy has to go, but you need to take over for me, okay? You need to protect mommy and Willz and keep them safe until you all come to see me."

Brad picks him up, letting Nolan lay his head on his neck as he cries on his shirt, leaving stains of tears all over his favorite shirt.

"You can lay with mommy tonight so you both sleep good without me."

"We'll watch your movie so you can fall asleep." I reach over, rubbing Nol's back to help calm him "Maybe we can have some snacks too."

"You better be good. Mommy never let's you eat around the bed!"

"Mommy's been getting really hungry, that's the only reason it's okay." I kiss Nolan's head, watching as he tries his hardest to still look upset and not turn towards me "But we can only do that if you're really good."

He turns around, reaching his arms out towards me.

"I good, momma."

"Let's make sure Willz is ready."

I walk towards her room, where she is hibernating after her night with Coco and Julian. She only went to bed around 8AM after Court dropped her off here, so she's probably still fast asleep. I don't get an answer after knocking, so I open the door slowly to see her all wrapped up on her bed.

"Willow, come on it's time to get up." I gently touch the only spot of her head not covered, trying to get her attention "We need to drop Brad off soon. You can sleep more later."

She rolls over, looking at me like she has absolutely no idea why I'm in her room waking her. I wait just long enough to know that she's actually getting up, and leave to make sure Nol is ready to leave.

"What's going on in here?"

The kitchen is a disaster. Bowls all over, cereal spilled out of the containers, my child completely naked on the counter eating pancake mix out of the bowl with just his hands. He smirks when he sees me walking in, knowing he better look his cutest or he's in trouble.

"Momma look at me!"

"You're a mess, baby. Why did you take your clothes off?"

"So daddy stay."

"Buddy I want daddy to stay too but he has to work. If he doesn't work they won't let him in any movies anymore."

Willow walks down a few minutes later, taking one look at the kitchen and turning around. She doesn't even walk in for coffee or food, just turns around as if she wants to make sure we know she didn't have anything to do with it.

"Willz, can you find Brad while I work on this? Make sure he knows we need to leave any minute." She walks through the kitchen, taking Nol for me since he now wants her instead, and goes looking for Brad.

"Brad! Jen's ready for you so we can ship you off! Everyone is showing up for the party in 2 hours!"

"Yeah right she won't have a party with her kitchen looking like a pancake tornado went through it. She won't even leave with it looking like that."

I throw a towel at him as he walks down the steps, warning him he's going to be helping.

"Start helping or we'll never get rid of you. I'm looking forward to the cake at the party."

"You're lucky I know you're joking."

"Just help. Since you're obviously the one that set your son up with this mess. There's no way he poured everything in that bowl. He'd have to be way smarter for that."

"Hey don't call our child dumb. He's very smart."

"Honey, you're his dad. Let's be real here." I kiss his cheek, walking towards the sink "I love you, but you aren't always the brightest."

"But I am cute!"

"That you are. Nolan's cuter though. He gets that from me."

"Yeah, can't argue much with that."

"I would just like to point out that not all Pitts are dumb." Willow walks out with Nol, who is finally dressed "At least I'm not."

"I never thought you were, you've always been smart. It's probably just the men."

We drive to the airport shortly after. Silent almost the whole way because none of us want to think about Brad leaving, even if we do plan on visiting eventually. It's still hard to think about being away from him for so long.

"Bye buddy," Brad hands me Nolan once we reach the gate, holding back his tears "Bye Willow. I'll call you guys once I get there."

I hand Nolan to Willow, telling her to get them some snacks, and follow Brad as far as I can.

"Have fun, baby."

"Come here," he pulls me in closer, clinging onto me tightly "I don't want to leave. You know that. Part of me wants to drop everything, but it's such a great opportunity."

"I'd be more upset if you didn't go. Just ignore the hormones and craziness and enjoy yourself. We'll see you in a few weeks."

"I love you."

"I love you more."