Only Want the Best

"Hey, can we talk?"

Willow lightly knocks on our bedroom door, staring in at Brad and I.

"Sure honey, what's up?"

"Well, Julian and I are talking again... kinda... and we thought maybe it would be good to go away toge-"

"Absolutely not.  You two aren't going anywhere together."

"But Jen we need this!"

"No Willow, she's right.  We all know what's going to happen and it isn't going to help the two of you at all."

"But you guys don't understand!  We need this, we're fine, we just need to get away."

"No.  Trust me, we want you happy, but you've changed a lot recently since the two of you have been having problems and it's not good."

She storms out, leaving Brad and I to decide who should handle this one, since it's going to be a mess either way.

"She normally listens to you better, I just get told I don't understand anything." Brad nudges me to go "I don't want to deal with it."

"Well I don't really want to either, but she is NOT going.  I'm starting to think he's taking advantage of being her first real love."

Willow's door is closed once I finally make it to her room.  She has it locked as well, forcing me to bang on it until she finally opens it, hardly holding it open for me.

"Look, we care about you.  We just want the best, and you two going away isn't going to solve everything."

"You think just because you and Brad have been together for so long that you know everything.  You don't!  We love each other, this isn't just some typical teenage love story, we aren't breaking up next week!"

She faces away from me, trying to hide the fact that she is crying as she speaks. 

"You aren't my mother.  You don't know me as well as you think you do."

"I have never wanted to replace your mom.  I would never even try to do that, but I will always try my best to protect you and lead you in the right direction.  I love you so much, and I love Julian, but right now, I really don't think you guys are okay."

"But that's why we need to get away."

"No.  I can tell you exactly what's going to happen.  You'll go away, talk for a little, have sex and maybe talk some more.  Then you'll both go cold again on the way back.  And you'll be in this same situation again.  What the two of you really need to communicate about can and SHOULD be done somewhere that nothing else will happen.  That's how you know it's taken seriously."

"You really do think you know freaking everything, don't you?  You're wrong.  That won't happen.  Maybe to most couples, but not to us."

"Willow, I love you.  I don't want you to keep getting hurt like this, but it's going to keep happening unless both of you make a change."

"But we're trying!  Maybe you're too blind to see that, but we want this to work!  We aren't dumb, we don't want to be with other people.  Just because you haven't been in this situation for like 50 years and can't see that doesn't mean we're dumb."

"I am not saying you're dumb.  I've just noticed that he is not very supportive of you.  He wouldn't even show up to your first premiere until last freaking minute, Willow!  That's not something someone who loves and supports you does."

"So you're trying to tell me that Brad has been to EVERYTHING for you?  He hasn't ever had a bad day, or not felt like going because of an argument?  Because that's hard to believe.  I've seen first hand the two of you fighting, I've seen both of you miserable so many times it's ridiculous.  Are you sure you're happy?  Maybe you're just that miserable that you're trying to make me seem like the unhappy one."