Happy Anniversary?

"I can't believe you two are married 10 whole years already! It seems like yesterday when Jane made me dress all nice and act like a normal person for the day."

We're sitting on the deck enjoying drinks and barbecue with our parents to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary today. The kids are all playing in the grass beside us filling the air with laughter as we talk about how much our lives have changed since that special day 10 years ago. Bill, like always, uses his humor to lighten up the mood when we start talking about the more serious aspects.

"If I had to give up my funny socks, you had to wear a suit." Brad glares over at me, making sure I know that he is still upset about me not letting him wear socks with food on them to our wedding "They would have really made the ceremony more funny."

"The ceremony wasn't supposed to be funny... it's supposed to be a romantic time, not time to be funny."

I notice as we keep talking, Brad looks nervous. His feet gently tap the ground as his legs shake with every word he says. His strong arm that's wrapped around me continuously stokes my back, something he only does when he's uncomfortable.

"Baby what's wrong?"

I follow him through the house. The doorbell just rang and he jumped up to answer it before I got a chance. Everyone we invited is already here so there's nobody else we should be expecting.

"Just promise me you won't get upset."

He opens the door slightly to reveal someone I never expected to see at my house. Someone who has never even shown the slightest interest in our life, even if I made it difficult.

"Mom? Wha... what are you doing here?"

"Well it's nice to feel invited." She rolls her eyes as she walks past Brad so he can shut the door "I wanted to see you on your anniversary since I wasn't special enough to be at the wedding. I wasn't saying when I said I wanted to feel involved in your life, Jen. I've had a son in law for 10 years now that I just met in person for the first time 5 seconds ago."

It hurts me to think about all of this. All the pain we've put each other through over the years because of something we could have easily talked about to save the pain. It hurts me even more, though, to think about Brad going behind my back to do this when he knows how much of a sore subject my mother is to me.

"Did you know about this? Is this why you were so anxious all morning?" I turn towards Brad who looks like he's about to burst "Why wouldn't you say anything? Why would you do this without warning?"

"Because I knew you would say no right away. I know you two have your issues but she's your mother, Jen. And Nolan has been talking nonstop about her. You're keeping your child's grandmother away from him."

"That doesn't matter. You know you can't just surprise me with this!"

"Jen calm down. I'm sorry I wanted my mother in law to be here, I thought maybe I could help."

I stand there in shock. My mother is actually trying to include herself with the help of my husband who couldn't even earn me about it. I want her to be here, but I don't know if I'm emotionally or physically ready for what her being here means.

"Well, okay I guess. Everyone is out back, do you want anything to drink?" I lead her through the house, watching closely as she takes everything in as she's seeing it for the first time "We have wine, beer and some juice."

"I better just stick with the juice, thanks."

She stands across from me as I get her drink ready, fishing around for a glass that doesn't have a cartoon character on it. Brad stands closer to the door so we can talk with some privacy, but close enough that he can intervene if needed.