She'll be Better

"I have good news, the pregnancy test came back negative..."

The doctor walks up behind me, oblivious to what just happened.

"This rules out miscarriage, and we can administer IV pain meds as well as the blood transfusion."

I turn towards her, holding the basin full of bloody vomit for her to see.

"Okay, Willow I'm going to have you sit up a little, try to keep everything down for right now."

She has the nurse adjust the bed to help while another nurse runs for the blood and pain medication. I stand there, holding Willow's hand the whole time, hoping the boys are okay with their toys.

"What's going on with her? She shouldn't be throwing up blood..."

"I'm not sure yet, Mrs. Pitt."

"It's Jen... but seriously, she was perfectly healthy yesterday. How did of switch this fast?"

She looks around the room, noticing that Willow and the boys are all paying attention.

"Let's go outside, we can talk there with your husband."

I follow her out towards the hallway, motioning for Brad to come over with us.

"I'm not sure exactly what is going on yet, but with ruling out pregnancy and miscarriage we can at least help with the pain. She's showing signs of internal bleeding so I'd like to do a CT and ultrasound to figure out where exactly it's coming from."

"How fast will the pain medicine work? She's never in pain like this." Brad asks, showing even more of his sensitive side "She never complains either."

"Well it'll be given through IV, so it should be almost immediate. She should feel better pain wise, but unfortunately the nausea and uncomfortable feeling won't be much better until we figure out the source of everything."

"With the bleeding, could it be ovarian related? I had a cyst years ago, but no symptoms this bad."

"I'm definitely thinking about that. One of the first things I want to do is an ultrasound so we can check."

Brad and I go back into the room while they take Willow to run all the tests. They start her IV right before she leaves the room, and we see immediate relief in her reactions as they wheel her out. She even seems a little bit more like herself, except for the nausea.

Still, just seeing her not herself hurts me. I never wanted to even imagine this happening to her, and seeing it is heartbreaking knowing I can't do anything to take her fear away. I can't do anything at all to help her.

"She's going to be okay, right?" I turn towards Brad, who looks just as terrified as I do "Vomiting blood isn't that bad."

"Well it isn't exactly good..." He can tell this isn't the time to piss me off, or make me more scared than I already am "She's young and healthy. She'll be fine. Maybe it's an ulcer or something."

He wraps me up in his arms as we watch Nolan run around the room as he makes sure Zane is watching him from his car seat . He's so full of life, not having any idea what is going on, giving us some more hope that Willow will push through this without issues.

Seeing one child so energetic reminds us that children, and teenagers, are resilient, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

We go back into the room to wait, Brad playing with Nols while I feed Zane to keep them somewhat quiet. I try my best to think of absolutely any reason other than why we're here, almost wishing I was in Willow's place.