Ch. 3 Kill or Be Killed

FRIENDS
[2×05]

IT WAS EASY TO FORGET JUST HOW MANY TOWN EVENTS WENT ON IN MYSTIC FALLS. After going to public school had failed during my year away, I had gotten used to not getting out much. Caroline decided to invite me to the latest Mystic Falls event, a picnic that was being held to restore Wickery Bridge. As nice as it sounded to see some of my old friends from the town, the idea of avoiding my ex as much as possible sounded better.

I walked into the entryway with my sister, having heard our mom moving around. She was stacking some boxes, most likely for the picnic.

"Are you off today?" Caroline wondered.

"The historic society volunteer picnic is today. You're the one who signed me up," our mom explained.

"I know I assumed you'd bail," Caroline admitted.

"Wouldn't be a surprise," I added, arms crossed over my chest.

"Nope, I'm going to spend the whole day with my daughters," she told us.

"You're going to pretend to be a mother?" Caroline asked.

"I'll bring my gun if it gets rough," she said. We nodded. "Come on. Give me one day. I've been buried in work mode. I barely get to see you two, and Rory, you just got back."

"I'm not going," I said.

"Rory," she said, giving me a look.

I sighed. A part of me had really missed my mom over this past year. We had never been extremely close, but she was my mom whether we had the same DNA or not. I wanted us to go back to how things were before, not that I was sure they ever would. "Just tell me Tyler won't be there," I said.

"I don't think Carol wrangled him into this one, so you're safe," she told me.

"Fine," I said.

"Well, be warned, I'm in a mood," Caroline said.

"So am I since you are making me go to this thing," I said.

"Goodie for me," Mom said.

We started to head back to our rooms, but Mom called after us. "What was Elena doing here so late last night?"

"Elena wasn't-"

Caroline was cut off by an elbow to her ribs. "Yes. Umm... Elena was here. Uh, she just needed to talk. Her and Stefan are going through a rough patch," I lied.

Our mother gave us a look. "Is everything okay with you two?" she asked.

"We're fine," Caroline lied.

"It's just lately you two seem different," Mom told us.

"I'm not different. I'm fine," Caroline said.

"I know you two think I don't notice these things, but I do. What's going on with both of you?" she asked.

"You know, there's pretending to be mother, and then there's reality. Let's not push our luck, okay?" Caroline asked, then walked out.

I frowned, nodding towards my sister. "What she said. I am different, Mom. You sent me away with Dad because I made a mistake. That changed me. So, don't act like you know me. I am not the same little girl who got into Dad's car crying, because she thought her parents didn't love her anymore," I told her, and left the room too.