Ch. 14 Before Sunset

ALARIC
[3×21]

VOICE MAILS FROM MY SISTER AND TYLER WERE PILING UP, BUT I CHOSE TO IGNORE THEM. Klaus ordered in chocolate croissants, which I happily devoured. I had talked on the phone with Kol, who was more than excited that he would be seeing me soon. I was actually having a pretty good day. That is, till Rebekah got home.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me," she cried as she entered the room. Klaus was packing up his paintings, while I laid on the sofa right outside the room. I sat up straight when I heard this.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead," Klaus said.

"Well, he's not! And he is a vampire thanks to Mother's spell. With a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's stronger, Nik. Too strong," Rebekah said, while I walked over to the doorway.

"Where is he now?" Klaus wondered.

"Stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls, he'll come after us. We need to leave now," Rebekah said.

"No, Alaric will slaughter the whole town," I reminded.

"And how is that our problem?" Rebekah asked, turning to face me.

"Because I can't leave my friends, my stupid sister or my idiot of a baby-daddy knowing they're in danger. I may be mad at Caroline and Tyler and me and the Salvatores aren't on the best terms, but I can't leave them," I said.

"I get myself killed trying to save them and they die anyway," Klaus said.

I looked at the hybrid. "Please," I said.

He shook his head. "No," Klaus told me.

"Fine. I'll go figure out how to kill someone I love myself," I said.

I walked around the corner to run into the one person who I didn't want to see. "Rory," Tyler said. "What are you doing here?"

"Not your problem," I said. I wanted away from him more than anything, but I also knew I could use his help. I sighed. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Anything," he said.

"Lilly is sleeping upstairs. Get her out of here. Alaric is alive and I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I can't believe I'm saying this right now, but can you just get Lilly and Caroline out of here?" I asked.

"Of course, but if Alaric's alive then you need to be getting out of here too," he said.

"I can't. I never even tried to help Alaric through all of this. I have to try to fix the mess he's in now. I'll be careful, I promise. Just keep them safe," I said.

"One day your stubbornness is going to get you killed," he warned.

I looked at him. I knew Alaric would never have hurt me a year ago. Now I wasn't so sure. I forced a small smile. "So I've been told," I said.

"Oh, umm, can you get me out of packing for Klaus at least?" he wondered.

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the room where Klaus was. "Tyler is going to take care of Lilly for me while I go try to deal with this mess. Try to use that stupid sire bond on him and I will chop off your head. Okay? Bye," I said and left the room before Klaus could try to argue.

|

I was headed to the Gilbert house when my phone rang. My hands were shaking as I answered it. "Ric?" I asked.