Ch. 8 A View to a Kill

KOL
[4×12]

HAYLEY ENDED UP TELLING ME HER WHOLE STORY. Unlike me, she had never gotten adopted. We did have one thing in common, we were pretty dumb teenagers. When she was fourteen, she went out with some friends and got drunk on a boat. She didn't think she was drunk, and messed up big time. That was how she triggered her werewolf curse.

The thing was, she had grown up human like me. She didn't know what was going to happen. So, she turned in the middle of her foster parents house. Afterwards they kicked her out and she was on her own from then on.

She had been searching for her family since then. She had came to Mystic Falls, and played us all.

I stayed with her a few days, before finally going back to my apartment. I found my phone sitting on the coffee table, dead. I put it on the charger and when it finally came back to life, saw that I had several messages. I called my mom back first.

"Hey, mom," I said.

"Rory! Oh, my gosh. I have been so worried," she said.

"Sorry, I left my phone at my apartment. What's wrong?" I wondered.

"What's wrong? Rory, Carol Lockwood is dead and you've been missing for two days," she said.

"What?" I asked, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

"Where have you been? All of us have been worried sick. I filed a police report," she said.

"Wait, wait, go back. Did you say Carol is dead?" I asked.

"You didn't know? The night you disappeared, she drowned in the fountain. The story goes that she got drunk and fell in, but it's obvious that she was murdered," Mom said.

I swore. "Usually I would say something about what you just said, but I think it is a fair reaction," she told me.

"How's Tyler?" I asked.

"I don't know. Caroline has been trying to spend more time with him," she said.

"Okay. I better call everyone. I'm sorry I disappeared. I just- things got complicated. I promise I will explain later," I said.

I finished talking to her and looked at the rest of my missed calls. I had a few from Caroline and Tyler, and two from Klaus. I hesitated for a minute, before calling him first. "Where have you been?" he asked.

"Did you kill Carol Lockwood?" I asked.

"Rory-"

"Did you kill her?" I repeated.

"Yes."

I swore once again.

"Look, Rory, I'm sorry. But we don't really have time for this chat. I was hoping that you could help me with Kol. He is on one of his classic rampages. He wants Jeremy Gilbert dead, and none of us can have that. I'm trying to handle it, but for some reason he occasionally listens to you. Any chance you can try to talk him down?" he asked.

No part of me wanted to help Klaus right now, but no part of me wanted to see Jeremy or Kol dead either. "Fine," I said.

"I am sorry, little wolf," he told me.

I looked at the ground. "Don't call me anytime soon, Klaus," I told him and hung up.

|