"Uh.... Seattle"

Los Angeles, California
February 2 1989

The next day and the last stop of the tour, Soundgarden was opening for Voivod, an industrial/thrash metal band from Montreal Quebec. We arrived in Los Angeles, finally and Chris had an interview scheduled for MTV early this afternoon. As soon as we arrive, we head straight to MTV studios before checking into the hotel.

•••

"Who is it...? Are they even here yet...?"

Rikki Ratchman sits at his desk and calls to the stage manager as a makeup assistant fixes his hair.

"Soundgarden... no, they're on their way,"

"And it's just the two of them?" Rikki asks.

"Yes... Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil,"

"I thought it was supposed to be the whole band?" Rikki calls to him.

"Nope just Chris and Kim..."

"Alright... " Rikki says and gestures for the makeup assistant to go away.

•••

"Fuck, I'm so tired," Chris yawns and I follow him and Kim into MTV studios. We woke up late in Sacramento so we didn't even have time to clean up. I just threw my hair up in a messy bun, and threw on the same clothes I had on yesterday... My Type O Negative Shirt, my black skinny ripped jeans, Doc Martens, my silver studded belt and my silver studded wrist cuff, and my leather jacket of course. Chris was so cute, his hair was so curly cause he hadn't had time to shower so he just threw on a black T-Shirt, his leather jacket with the Soundgarden patch on the front, His Doc Martens and some dark patterned pants sort of like track pants. Kim was all about the denim today. Denim jacket, Jeans and well a black T-Shirt of course.

We reach the "stage" area and see Rikki sitting at the desk, which was part of the set, organizing the papers on the desk. He looks up and sees Chris and Kim. One of the camera guys says quietly to me to just stand off the stage, but I was still close enough to see. Chris turns to me and give me a quick kiss and then heads toward the couch on the set.

"Hey.. glad you finally made it," Rikki stands up and extends his hands for Chris and Kim to shake. They shake hands and Rikki gestures for them to sit down on the couch.

"We're just about to come back from commercials so..."

"Cool..." Chris says.

•••

"Alright were back with MTV's Headbangers Ball and we're with Chris and Kim of Soundgarden... you know Chris, I read in and interview with Axl Rose that he thinks your like the greatest vocalist out there..."

"Wow..." Chris says and smiles shyly and then does a silly motion with his head with the biggest smile on his face. It made me giggle from the side stage as I watched them. Damn he's cute.

"Did... did you... or are you friends with those guys or?" Rikki giggles at Chris's reaction.

"We've met him before.. couple times... he came to a couple of our shows.."

"Yea he's a big fan of yours..."Rikki says

"Yea..." Chris smiles.

"Now earlier we said you guys are from Seattle... what's the rock and roll scene like in Seattle?" Rikki asks.

"It's boss... it's pretty much better than anywhere else..."Chris says

"Pretty much... it's like it is in Los Angeles... Less Tattoos..." Kim says.