Chapter 23

-edited-
Previously:

Feeling what I feel for Lucifer with touching him a few times and almost kissing him once, I don't understand how Calvin ever killed his mate. I hate that he chose me over her because I feel this obligation to him, to rid of Lucifer and I know it's wrong but I feel it.

I don't understand how I feel so strongly for Lucifer, but my love for Calvin just seems obligated. Is that love? Do I even love Calvin anymore?

Lucifer POV:

One. Twins. Three. Four. Five.

She has a son. She's carrying twins. She has three boys. Her and her three boys. Her, her three boys and Calvin.

I can't stop thinking about it. It's the only thing that rings in my head. That and everything she's ever told me that was negative, that I ruined her life. She has a son, she's pregnant with twins, and married and marked by someone else.

I'm a last thought. They parade in front of me, as if I'm not here because she doesn't feel for me like I do her. I just wish there was a way to get rid of my emotions for her. I can't reject her, I could I would instead of sitting here being tortured.

The nurse hands them the pictures and begins to cry tears of joy... twins. But Calvin stops laughing as he looks at this pictures handed to him. Like he realized they're boys and what it means.

"No girl." He says. "Two more boys... but no girl."

"Everything will be ok, Calvin." She reached for his hand. "Everything will be fine. This is great news."

"Cass this is amazing news. But when those boys are born it's the end of us. You don't want to admit but let's face it, we need to be honest, you and Lucifer are destined regardless of his idiotic ways. And it was said millions of times the prophecy will be ful-" I'm not insulted, mine and her fathers plan faltered and to not have a plan B and throw myself in an initial fight with, to show I was apart of this was idiotic. I made my bed, and I'm lying in it. So yeah, he's right about both my idiocy and me and Cassandra being destined.

"Don't you think this was a sign then? The goddess saying not yet?" She says calmly. "This about it, if the war was here and the goddess needed to be born I would be carrying a girl, but we are having two more boys. I don't know about you but that's says a lot me." She laughs and looks at pictures and back at him. "There are 7 billion people on earth, how likely is it that I'm the only girly with 'golden hair and red eyes'. Maybe the prophecy is true, but maybe we aren't the ones to fulfill it."

Trying to understand her is like trying to understand german. You know she's talking, but you have no fucking idea what she's saying. It's like she has this alter ego that one wants Calvin and the other wants me, she says it but it doesn't register.

Lately I've been catching her look at me more, but there's been a glint that wasn't there before. Like she wants me to do something, to say something but when she talks the complete opposite comes out. I don't know if she's messing with me or if she's generally confused on how she feels.

I know how I feel and I know the circumstances, I want her but I can't have her. I love her but she hates me. I want a life with her but she has a life with someone else. I need her, but she could care less if dropped dead.

"... and what about him." Calvin said as he pointed to me, I look up to be sure but I catch her eyes once again, a longing look I haven't seen before.

"I say we test the tether that kept us close. If he can go further without causing either of us pain then we have our answer." See what I mean, her eyes tell me something completely different from what she says.

"If the tether breaks then what?" Calvin asks. I look at her again. Her eyes are hopeful of something.

"It's up to him if I'm being completely honest. He can stay, or he can go-"

"Regardless of the fact where he threatened me to take CJ and go or he-"

"When my father did that." Is she defending me?

"For him, Cass."

"For the pack. The scheme was my fathers doing, Lucifer was just a mindless pawn. He chooses whether he wants to stay or go, that's my decision. Now can we test my theory?" She sounded irritated and annoyed.

I'm not going to lie, "mindless pawn" hurt a little, but when she said my name... I have heard her say my name on numerous occasions, but this was different, it was sweeter. It wasn't bitter and distasteful, but it was sweet. I do feel better from that, not too much but the best I've felt in days. The best I've felt since she almost kissed me over the counter.

Leaving the infirmary the eyes of the members burn holes in me. I can take on all of them without breaking a sweat, but I don't let them see that. I make myself look pathetic so that Cassandra can feel better. But if this tether is broken, I'm not staying. I'm not welcomed, not since Calvin returned and they told the pack everything, they made sure to ruin my name. They did pretty damn well.

But I have other reasons for going, I know at home I'd be better off. This is way I clearly do what I have to do, and do it right. No rushing. This'll take however long I need it to.

Calvin stood me to where I was only a foot from Cassandra. Only twelve inches keeping us apart. As I look in her eyes I try to read her but really I'm just observing her beauty. How her best feature are her eyes, how the first woman I ever seen with a real beauty marks actually makes her even hotter, her hair in a lazy ponytail but her hair is real. Untouched by dye and chemicals. How she's just perfect. Her lips are full, and pink. Her skin holds a perfect tan. I want to cup the back of her neck and pull her into a hug just so I can have her in my arms. I mean I can do it, she's only twelve inches away from me.

Her eyes tell me to hold her. They tell me she doesn't want to kill me anymore, god she wanted to kill me and she had several opportunities. She spared me with insults but continued to leave me alive. But I know what she's asking, but I can't. If I want to live my life the way I should, the way every mate should I got to ignore her, I have to shut her out.

"Start walking backwards." Calvin tells me. Without breaking our gaze I take my first step and I keep going. I can see the anticipation of waiting on the tug from the tether, but nothing yet. I count twenty-five steps before I see the tear leave her eyes. She wants me to stop I see it clearly now that she does, but I have something so special for her she just has to wait .

I touch fifty and I'm completely shut off from her. Her pleading eyes in the distance become too distant for me to understand them I stop trying. I know ignoring her is the opposite of what i've been doing but life is all about the hunt. Adrenaline and fear in a tale told to all.

"Stop walking!" Calvin yelled. I'm at my hundreth step. I see that he's talking to her but I don't bother listen. I learned to ignore almost everything that comes from his mouth. I should've killed him when I had the chance... now I have to do it long way.

She started walking backwards, testing this both ways. I can tell that every step hurt her because they started to get smaller rather than staying the same. But there was no tug, no tether, no spark of pain to tell us to stop. She knows it. She hates it.

Calvin stood bewteen us, where she stood before. I stand a hundred feet from him and a hundred more from her. There's no tether holding us impossibly close, nothing at all anymore.

"Come on back kids." Mrs. Dove calls. She doesn't yell but she knows we both hear her and we start walking back. I reached her before Cass did. "So I guess there prophecy wasn't meant for you guys. As for the bond that is gone, perhaps the goddess just wanted you two to have a second chance to fix things, but I guess without trying she gave up and dropped the link. Lucifer you're free to go or to stay. As for my daughter and son in-law, you continue your normal lives." She closed her book and hauled it back inside with her. Her disappointment was clear.

"Have you made your decision?" Calvin asked.

I don't look at Cassandra this time, I can't risk it. "I'm gonna go home. I have a life back there, and staying would only make everything worse." He wrapped his arm around Cass. "Well I'm gonna go give my sister a call and get out of your hair."