Chapter 48

-edited-

Previously

"If anything goes wrong, promise me you'll take Wynter to my house. It's the safest place on this land and probably in the world." She nods her head and I leave.

Walking into the field I know exactly who it was. Cassandra and she didn't bring just 20 people. It looks like she took my advise and showed up with a army... I know she thinks we killed Calvin.

I see Angel leading our pack. "Before this field becomes a bloodbath, we have to say, we didn't kill your precious alpha. And we know you didn't kill my brothers wife." Angel states. "So we can talk it out, or this could end like last time." I stand next to my sister and stared at Cassandra, I can see the pain and mourn within her, she's not her right mind. Like I was when I was beating up Joseph. "So what's your choice?"

Cassandra POV:

I can see the pain and the recklessness in his heart. He's hurting and looking for answers the same as I. "So what's your choice?" His sister asks.

I tear my eyes from him. "You said he had an idea of who. I'm all ears. I want to know who killed my husband and made my sons fatherless." I growl. "And I will tear him inside out and do whatever I can to keep him conscious just so he can feel every second of it."

"Sorry, we had a lead and it all went to shit." Angel explained.

"Bullshit."

"No, honest truth. We had the wrong guy."

"You want me to believe that you just let him go?" I ask carefully.

"I'm pretty sure from the several times he was being beat in the head that he either has amnesia or something else retaining to memory lost or brain malfunction. Whenever he gets to where he's going, hell pass out and he'll wake up thinking that he had the weirdest dream." She explains.

I try not to look at Lucifer, but unfortunately I can't help it. He's front and centered, waiting for something to happen, hurting as much as I am. He couldn't have possibly done this, I see it in him, I see way too much of him... a sleeveless athletic shirt stained with blood, those basketball shorts hug tight at his waist but loosens the closer it gets to his knees, his hair untouched for days, his tired and mourning eyes tells me he hasn't been sleeping well or at all.

"I miss my husband, more than you could imagine." I tell Angel. "I want his killer bleeding slowly to death at my feet, and if, if your killer is the same as mine I want all the help I can get. Even if it's from your pack." I say distasteful.

There was a slight curve in her lips, both impressed and grateful. "Well, if we are going to get started on finding this killer, I think we should share our evidence. Do you have any?" She asks.

"Just a muddy show print and the bullets from my husbands body." I answer. "You?"

"Eyewitnesses who've sketched the face, and the bullets from my wife's skull." Lucifer answered. I don't show how taken back I am, I forgot what he sounded like and how captivating his voice is.

"Great. We can see if the bullets are the same, and check the serial number on them to see if they match a gun, and find where that gun is purchased and see if we can find the guy." I suggest.

"I already checked, 22 times, the serial numbers are scratched. I can only make out a two for the first digit and a nine for the last number. Two out of eleven isn't good enough." I can see he's getting upset, no answers and only setbacks, it'll only drive you mad.

"Two bullets were fired from the gun, we haven't checked the serial numbers, so we'll return tomorrow and see how far we can get."

He grabs his sisters arm and whispers something in her ear. She nods her head, and I don't mean to watch as he leaves, but I can see every muscle in his back flex as his arms sway as he walked.

I look back at Angel and she has one eyebrow risen as she stares at me. She's suspicious. "Tomorrow, works." She stares me up and down, like she's trying to figure me out. "You can leave now."

***

Getting home I instantly think of my boys. Debra was watching them for me, along with her daughter. I always almost forget about her daughter, she's quiet and self kept. Her name is Grace, she's a couple months over a year. She was born the same day Lucifer kidnapped my son... it's crazy though, it doesn't seem like that was over a year ago.

"Hey, Debra, I'm home." I lock the door behind me and the first person I see is Grace, staring at me as she held her stuffed bunny. "Hi, Grace." I say.

She smiles and runs into the living room. Debra was sleep, and so were the twins. The only ones awake was Calvin and Grace. But they were being good, and watching Paw Patrol.

"Hey Calvin." I opened my arms for a hug and he ran into them.

"Mommy!" He exclaimed, waking Debra.

She gave a short yawn as she sat up. "Sorry, they were all sleep before I sleep, I promise." She said tiredly.

"It's fine, I believe you." I look at my bedroom door, I still haven't been in there yet, I try not go in there.

"So how'd it go?" She asks.

"Well, no fight. So good, but no leads either. It wasn't their plan, Lucifer is pretty much dead inside and has been looking for any possible resolution. There was blood on his shirt, apparently he beat someone memoryless because he thought the guy had something to do with his girlfriends death."

"I thought they were married."

"Oh... right, his wife. And apparently they had a baby together as well. A girl."

"Is that so? So he really was in love with that girl." 

"Yea... I guess so." I say. 

"Sorry to be honest, but you sound disappointed." I look at Debra and she shrugs her shoulder as she lifts Grace to sit on her lap.

"I'm not." I tell her. "I'm happy he found someone that he could love, marry, and start a family with. I just sorry he didn't get to have as much time with her as I did was Calvin." I tell her.

"I see." I watched as she began bouncing Grace on her knee. I remember when Calvin would do that with CJ, and CJ would make the weird noise so that it just kept going up and down. Calvin would always give CJ a huge smile as he thought it was funny, and then looked at me. Moments like that CJ won't remember in 10 years, but I will always remember.

I really need to find who did this, and get my explanation because this isn't fair. Calvin didn't deserve to die, he was awesome, great, amazing, wonderful, and selfless. If anyone should have died it should have been me.

I feel Debras arms wrap around me, I was crying again, and I always cry when I think about the ifs in Calvin's death. Like he never would've died if I didn't ask him to get my blanket. He would have never died if I was in my right mind. He never would have died if I just stayed home and never tried to kill Lucifer. He would have never died if I didn't make him doubt that I ever stopped loving him.

Everyone keeps telling me that I couldn't have possibly known this was going to happen and there was no way I could stop this. But I can't help but think otherwise.

"Can I stay the night?" She asks. I smile and nod. Debra knows me too well. Normally she'd ask, 'if you want I could stay the night' but I'd decline. So she'd have to go home. But now she asks if she can stay the night knowing I'd feel guilty if I said no. But I guess when you've been friends your whole life it's easy to find out little things like that.

"Yea." I say. She smiles triumphantly before laying down with Grace in her arms half asleep.

I pick up Calvin and put him on my lap, he didn't say anything, he just leaned against me and started watching tv. Ever since I told him it was ok to be sad and he didn't have to go feel strong, he's been quite. Not his usual hyperactive self. I'm afraid he's beginning to hear more than he lets us to believe. But thats a different conversation for a different day.