Chapter 24

-edited-
Previously:

"Come on back kids." Mrs. Dove calls. She doesn't yell but she knows we both hear her and we start walking back. I reached her before Cass did. "So I guess there prophecy wasn't meant for you guys. As for the bond that is gone, perhaps the goddess just wanted you two to have a second chance to fix things, but I guess without trying she gave up and dropped the link. Lucifer you're free to go or to stay. As for my daughter and son in-law, you continue your normal lives." She closed her book and hauled it back inside with her. Her disappointment was clear.

"Have you made your decision?" Calvin asked.

I don't look at Cassandra this time, I can't risk it. "I'm gonna go home. I have a life back there, and staying would only make everything worse." He wrapped his arm around Cass. "Well I'm gonna go give my sister a call and get out of your hair."

Lucifer POV:

I've been home for the past four hours, I was unexpectedly greeted by the pack. My sister picked me up personally, I didn't give her much information over the phone, I just wanted to leave. I told her pretty much everything, she apologized for misinforming on what she found. Max didn't come with, I still owe him an apology, which I will return soon enough. Right now I just want sleep, maybe a couple hours... or a couple days. Either is fine by me.

It's weird being back, if I'm being completely honest. I was this immature kid who was just destructive and annoying when bored. I had no responsibility, I only wanted one thing and that was to find my mate. I did. I didn't get to rule or bring her back with me so now I have zero purpose. I'm twenty-five years old and I have no idea where I'm going ad what I'm doing.

I wish I would have told Cassandra goodbye.

I start walking around, giving small waves to anyone that greeted me. I don't know why I feel at such a loss. On my way here I just wanted to create a smarter plan to get Cassandra back, but now I don't want to risk anything going wrong. I'm scared. I'm not scared of her but scared of what'll happen if she knew what I would do to get her. I hate that she rejected me but there's still something there.

"Woah... I heard you were back but I thought they were lying." I look to see Joseph, surprised to see me. "I kept saying, 'no if he was here he would have told me first'. Guess not." I can tell he was a little hurt but not majorly enough for me to care much.

"Sorry, I was just too focused on leaving rather than who was to come and get me." I found the kitchen, hoping there was a beer in the fridge. "So how have you been?" I asked scanning the fridge.

"Better than you obviously.. you don't even sound like yourself." He says pretty straight forward. "I thought things were going well between you and Cassandra."

I try not to wince at her name. Hearing it hurt more than I thought it would. I twist the bottle top off before taking a swig. "Calvin came back. Even before then she was contemplating several ways to kill me, even before she rejected me." I didn't mean to chug the rest of the bottle but the feeling of it going down was perfectly distracting.

"I'm so sorry, Lucifer, I had no idea." I can tell he didn't know how he wanted to approach me, let alone if he should say something in regards to it. I just walk to the fridge for another beer. I grab another and slid it across the counter to him. "What now?" He asks.

"Nothing." I say.

"What else is there? Because 'nothing' wouldn't stop the spoiled prince from getting what he wants." He says as we simultaneously twist the tops off.