Chapter 40

-edited-
Previously:

"Joseph, where's Livy?" I ask.

"I don't know, I assumed when you got back that I didn't have to watch her. She probably ran off."

"Ran off?"

"Yea, you come back from a trip with her. Protect her, and after forty-five minutes of fighting you stay out there, twenty minutes later you come back inside, ignore her to go straight into the cell of your mate." He explained.

I don't say anything. "I just needed to speak with Cassandra. That's it."

"Well, now you have to go find Livy."

Livy POV:

Great.. he wants Joseph to watch me while he has a meaningless standoff with his psycho mate and her pack.

Josephs hand squeezed my shoulder, "This could be a good thing." He whispered.

I wonder why she's here, I thought she was done with him when she heard him confess his feelings to me after the apology. What could she possibly want?

Maybe this is a part of Josephs evil plan, to make me break up with Lucifer so he can move on in some diabolical way. He should know how wrong this is, but one thing is for sure, the baby changes everything. Maybe if I tell Joseph about the baby then he should change his mind. Or he might beat me to kill the baby and say a enemy from the raging pack did it... I think this baby is better off a secret.

We go into my room, I turn the light on but Joseph quickly turns it off. "Only a idiot would want to be spotted because they turned on the light. You're half beta, you should at least know that much." He scoffed.

I just roll my eyes at him, he didn't know any more than I do, he just wants to seem smarter. I would be a higher ranking than him, but the omega in me cancels that out.

"So when was the last time you talked to your dad?" He asked.

"About four days ago. Why?" I ask.

"Just curious. And for the record, I'm not a total dick ok." He says. "No matter how stupid I portray, I do everything for a reason."

"Do you want to elaborate, or leave me guessing?" I ask.

"You care?"

"I'm interested."

He lets out a small laugh before sighing. "I'm an only child. The closest thing I have to a sibling is Lucifer. He has the potential to be a great alpha, but he acts like a boy sometimes, I blame myself for that. Love can make a man strong, but a mate can make a man feel as if he could lift the world with his pinky." There's something about the way he was speaking that caused me to be more interested. As if he was speaking from experience.

"What happened with you and your mate?" I ask boldly.

At first he looked shocked, then realization struck as he realized who he was talking to. "She rejected me. Not for no reason though. She was broken, sensitive, edgy. I knew that, but I didn't comprehend that. One night I tried to bring her out of her shell, to a party. She was having fun at first, then she wasn't, she was scared, anxious, nervous, and paranoid.

"When I tried to convince her to stay, she didn't, so I tried to hold her securely so she knew she was safe. She told me something was watching her, but I didn't see anything so I didn't think anything of it. When I wouldn't let go, she screamed, and everyone stared aw at us so I had to let her go. When I did, she left, I left soon after.