Chapter 27: Heartache

[2 MONTHS LATER]
•Annie's Pov•
Dear Diary,
My relationship with Hayden has been getting worse and worse. After I broke Brennan's heart he went back home to Maryland and we haven't talked since, except one at Caleb's funeral. I still keep in contact with Katie. Thank goodness. I know for a fact that Hayley and Ryan FaceTime everyday. My parents still think Hayden's an angel. We recently moved to La just before my brother Caleb passed, I keep thinking its a nightmare but I wake up and it's reality. Once Caleb passed, I became depressed and I wish I had Brennan more then ever right now. I have no one, I can't make Hayley feel worse then she already does. My parents just tell me that it will all get easier, Hayley and I have been clinging onto each other, never leaving the other out of sight. The memories of the day Caleb passed can't erase my mind, he seemed fine until I left him alone. I don't like being called Annie anymore as that's what Caleb's always called me, I only let Hayley call me Annie. I now go by Juli and Jules. My parents are still in the habit of calling me Annie.
[FLASHBACK]
"Put me down, Caleb" I giggled as I tried to wiggle from his grip.
He ran into the pool and jumped in with me on his back. All 3 of us had been hanging out all day.
"Bubba, catch me!" Hayley squealed as she jumped in.
I noticed as the day went on, Caleb began to get tired and gasped for air but at the time it never hit me why.
"I'm just gonna go to the toilet"
"Wait Annie, I gotta go too"
"Come on Hay"
"No, don't leave me!" he said, looking at me as his eyes began to water.
he got out of the pool and hugged us both tightly
"I love you both, no matter what. Always have, always will. Remember to always celebrate life!" he said as he kissed us as we said goodbye and said we loved him back. "Bye Annie, bye Hayley!" "Bye Caleb!" we both called out as went inside. I remember coming back outside to seeing Caleb laying on the deck chair
"We're back, bubs" Hayley said as we ran over to him
I began to cry as I couldn't see his heart beating
"No..." I said softly
"HAYLEY, GET MOM AND DAD NOW. HURRY!" I screamed
"MOM, DAD!" Hayley screamed running inside
"Somethings wrong with Caleb!" She said as they ran outside to join us.
My dad called 911, his fingers trembled to even dial the number, his voice shaky.
The paramedics arrived and took Caleb in the ambulance, my dad went in with him and we followed behind them in the car. We arrived at the hospital as they rushed Caleb into an Emergancy room and hooked him up to all these machines, but it was too late.
A doctor walked to us with his eyes watering
"It is with deep sorrow, that your son has passed away before he arrived"
I bawled my eyes and out and ran over to Caleb on the hospital bed
"NO! CALEB PLEASE COME BACK!!" I laid my head on his chest, hugging his lifeless body tightly.
"Excuse me, hon. I'm sorry, he's gone" the doctor said
"NO IM NOT LEAVING HIM. CALEB! CALEB! CALEB!"
No answer.
My family joined me in crying
"Sweetie, it's time to say goodbye" my father said, his voice still shaky.
I decided I wanted to go last. I waited for my parents to say goodbye.
It was now Hayley's turn "I'm sorry, Caleb. I shouldn't of gone to the bathroom with Annie. I could've stopped this, we could've gotten here quicker. I should've stayed like you asked. I miss you and love you Bubba" she poured out the tears in her eyes as she kissed his cheek and hugged him, she looked at him and waved goodbye.
"Do you guys think I can be alone with Caleb?"
Everyone nodded and closed the door as they waited outside.
"I'll never forgive myself Caleb. I should've just stayed with you like you begged me, but stupid me ignored your call for help. I promise that I will look after Hayley for you, I'll never ever let her out of my sight. I promise no one can ever replace you in my life. I must confess to you now, Hayden has been sexually abusing me and when Brennan asked me out, that's why I said no. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, I didn't want him to hurt you. I will treasure all of our memories together and won't ever ever ever forget you. I will be thinking about you every second of every day. I will always be missing you, big brother. I love you, Bubba" I said crying as I kissed his cheek and hugged him tightly, I held his hand and squeezed it.
"Goodbye Caleb..." I said crying as I waved goodbye and blew him a kiss.
My family came back in the room followed by the doctor with a teddy bear
"Here" he said handing it to me "Thank you" I said teary-eyed
"Look, I got one too" Hayley said quietly, I nodded and hugged the bear, ever so tightly, imagining it was Caleb.
"We will give you a call when we discover the cause of his death" the doctor said.
I hate the word death.
My father nodded as we got escorted out of the room. I looked at him once more as we left. We drove home in silence. I grabbed Hayley's hand and ran for Caleb's room, locking us inside.
"You okay?" I asked softly
She shrugged "I'll never be okay.."
A tear fell from my eye as I hugged her tightly
"Let's never let each other out of our sight" she nodded agreeing
[END OF FLASHBACK]
and to this day, Hayley's never out of my sight. She's sitting across from me as I write this.
Love, Annie.
xoxo