Chapter 1

Julia's p.o.v.

"Oh come on! Let's just go! It will be fun!" My friend, Svea, says for the hundredth time.

"I don't want to go to the prince's choosing ceremony. It's not required so I don't HAVE to. Therefore, I won't. I hate dresses." I answer. She keeps trying and aggravating me and pestering me until finally,

"Fine! Jesus, I'll go!" I yell. She squeals.

"I have the perfect gowns for us." She says. She's a tailor and a dresser for the royal ladies. She has her own shop in the middle of town as well. I sigh. I grab my phone and text my mom that I'll be at the ceremony. She replies with good wishes on my part, seeing as I. Hate. Dresses.

The day of the ceremony arrives quickly and I'm not excited. Svea put my hair in a cute braided updo and puts mascara and lip gloss on me. She shows the Dress and I immediately hop off the idea of wearing one.

"No! That's too much. That's a dress for a princess. Not me." I say. Then, Svea says something I definitely didn't expect.

"I've been working on it just for you, though. I thought you'd be more appreciative. I don't think ice ever worked so hard on a dress." She says. Awww. She's so sweet. I quickly accept the dress and put it on. It's amazing.

We get to the venue and I see many beautiful women around

We get to the venue and I see many beautiful women around. A few girls walk up to us and I recognize some of them from around the neighborhood we live in.

"Did you know that the prince's noble friends are choosing as well?" Svea says to everyone. We all shake our heads and talk for a while until a man asks for all of our attention on a stage in the back of the ballroom. He explains that after the prince chooses, the nobles will choose.

"However," he says, " the prince will be choosing from afar. He does not want to announce his bride until the evening is over, thank you." We all furrow our brows as he finishes.

"That's odd. And makes no sense." A girl in the group says. She has to be the most beautiful person I've seen. Her hair is down and wavy she has beautifully placed makeup and she's very kind. She just might be our new queen. And she seems like she knows it.

"So, Tara, do you think will choose you?" I whisper to her. She smiles shyly.

"Oh, I hope so. Any woman would be lucky to be the queen." She says. I scoff. She furrows her brows.

"Don't get me wrong. Helping make good decisions for the kingdom and mothering it would great. It's just, having so much attention on you and being the most important person in the kingdom. Wouldn't that be a lot to handle?" I ponder. She thinks about it and nods.

"But anyone would have the will and strength to handle it. They just have to find it." She reasons. I nod in understanding.

"So whatever beautiful, smart, and kind girl the prince doesn't pick, the nobles will have I'm guessing." I ponder aloud. Tara nods.

"Well, don't argue but you are quite a beautiful girl. We shouldn't rule you out so, that would make..." She trails, looking around the room. I sigh.

"Six girls here are beautiful, kind, and smart. There are four nobles, the prince's brother, and the prince. That's perfect."

"What about the girls that don't have all of those strengths? Any girl can be picked." I say.

"Yes, I know. I'm just trying to get my hopes up." She whispers at the end. We giggle. Then, the guy from earlier announces that the nobles will choose their brides. The prince has chosen already?

"That's gotta be a record," I say.

"Too bad we have to wait and see who she is."

"Does this mean we won't see the prince at all?" A girl asks. We shrug. I don't care as long as I get to go home and get out of this dress. Two noble have already picked their brides. It was one of the girls Tara pointed out earlier, and another that she didn't. I look at her smugly and she giggles. I see a noble walk up to Svea. I tap Tara on the shoulder and she looks at them.

"Looks like your best friend is gonna be married." She sings.

"I thought I was gonna marry her." I joke. We laugh. About half an hour later, the Prince's brother walks down the steps. We all bow and return to talking.

"OK. If he chooses you, that means it was me who the prince chose. And if he chooses me, the prince chose you or her or her." She says pointing to me and two other girls

"Noooo, not me. I'm not even that noticeable. Besides random people get picked we've seen it today already." I say. She sticks her tongue out at me and I do the same. Just then, the Prince's brother walks to her. I see him over her shoulder and step away. She looks at me confusedly before turning to him. I decide to see Svea and her new fiance. I text my mom about Svea being chosen before hustling over to the food where Svea was. I grab a plate and a few fruits and walk to her. We hug and she introduces me to the prince's noble, Matt. He looks at me smugly after we say hello to each other. I furrow my brows.

"It's about time to go home. We need to pack your stuff." I say, making sure they both could hear. Svea nods but Matt shakes his head.

"No! What about finding out who your queen will be?" He says quickly.

"We'll find out tomorrow when everyone talks about her," Svea says. She kisses his cheek and exchanges goodbyes with him. We are in front of the doors when we hear the same man from earlier.

" It is time for the Prince to reveal his chosen." He says. Svea and I turn to bow. We stay in that position for a while. When we finally rise, the prince is at the stage and, oh boy. He's even more attractive in person than in the pictures. His eyes are a beautiful honey brown, almost gold I'd say. He scans his eyes across the room for a while until his eyes briefly locked with mine. I look at Svea as Matt walks to her. I hear footsteps and I don't even realize that the crowd has parted, leaving a path in between me and the stage, and the prince is walking down it. I move out of his way wondering why he wanted to go outside. But he didn't make a move to go outside. He stopped in front of me.

"Where do you think you're going, Bella?" he asks. I look behind me, seeing if he was talking to me or someone else. I see no one behind me. Oh, no.

"uhh..." I say awkwardly, looking around embarrassed as people start to snicker at me.

"Your chosen is her?" Someone in the large crowd asks incredulously. I start to shake my head when he says,

"Yes, she is my chosen and she will be your queen as well so I demand that you show her respect." I glance at him, although, the whole time, he never took his eyes off of me. I start to panic. Me? Queen?

"You are all dismissed." He says. I sigh in relief as people finally take their eyes off of me. I turn to Svea and she looks at me with a smile. I'm so glad she isn't making a big deal about all of this. It's too much for me to handle already. Matt takes her outside and I realize that the Prince and I are now alone. I look at him some more, admiring him while he does the same to me. I smile at him and his face lights up instantly. Then, he does something I never thought I'd see a Prince do. He kneels on both knees in front of me. I look down at him like he's crazy as he smiles up at me.

"You are strange," I say to him.

"Yup," he says.

"What are you doing down there?" I ask him.

"Nothing." He says. I nod and sigh.

"You alright?" He asks me. I nod. This is gonna be a long life.