8. Manik?

name:- Manik?
word count:- 3000 words
published on:- 28th January, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

N A N D I N I

Talent Hunt.

For a person outside Space Acedemy, these were just two ordinary words; but for students like us, it meant everything. Talent Hunt was our fest, a musical gala that was an extravagant competition between students followed by a war of musical bands. It was famous for mending relations, breaking old ones and making new ones and as we all sat in the open area, I couldn't help but wonder what it had in store for me.

"I'm sorry you're not in my team Nandini, I really wanted us to all be together!" Aryamman walked to me and i smiled politely turning behind to see him with Mukti.

Today was Treasure Hunt, the first phase of Talent Hunt and the teams were already put up on the board.

"Oh, he's just scared he's going to lose without we smart girls!" Mukti showed him her tongue as she fled to my side. I was pretty satisfied by my team: me, Mukti, Manik and Cabir.

"Hey guys!" Another voice distracted us and we turned behind to see Manik walking in, who unlike all of us, just arrived. Everyone greeted him and he smiled past everybody, stopping at me.

"Hey!" He whispered, standing by me.

"Hi," I whispered back,"nervous?"

"Nervous? Nah, not really. I always win!" He smirked and I kept quiet this time, otherwise I would have lectured him for his over confidence but right now, I really needed the heat the words he spoke since we're in the same team.

"Who are you?" He asked again and I squeezed my eyebrows at him.

"Uh, Nandini?" I said in an obvious tone, "the girl you were sitting with on bandstand last night, having hot chocolate?" I reminded and he made an ahh face, as if realisation just struck me.

"No, that was my Nandini—," he said and my eyes widened as I looked at him, "I mean our Nandini," he immediately corrected.

"But this is not that Nandini. No lecture on being egotistic and no mood spoiling comment to start an unnecessary arguement? This is not her, what have you done to our Nandini haa?" He teased and I nodded in disbelief but I couldn't stop from cracking a smile.

I knew what he was trying to do— making me forget the butterflies and nervousness I was feeling and helping to lighten the atmosphere for me.

"You should smile more often, I know I just said this last night, but your smile is beautiful. Smile ke saath na, tum achi lagti ho," he complimented and I giggled.

"Tum thoda zyaada time aisi sweet baatein kiya karo, tum bhi ache lagne lagte ho," I teased winking as I walked away to Cabir who was standing a few hands away, looking at us like an old, gossipy aunty.

"Hey Cabir," I side hugged him and he did not smile. He continued staring at me with a look I didn't identify and his eyes travelled from me to Manik who was now talking to Mukti with a grin over his face which I am sure was from the conversation we just had because I couldn't stop grinning either.

"Nothing," Cabir said looking at me and I squeezed my eyebrows. Nothing?

"You can all come, take your first clues," There was a loud announcement by Raghav Sir. Mukti and Manik looked towards us, Cabir nodded and Manik went ahead to get us out first clue. Due to his height, he overshadowed everyone else and was amongst the first ones to be handed over the clue which he ran and got it to us.