17. Trapped

name:- trapped
word count:- 3300 words
published on:- 13th May, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

N A N D I N I

When I left dance with Abhi, I could see Manik's eyes glued at us. It was as if he was seeing us, but not actually seeing us. He was dazed, in randomly deep thought. Inaaya stood at a distance, observing him. My eyes connected hers and she gave me a smile, waving politely.

I smiled back, not sure what to do. She was so sweet. I wish she would have been that bitchy ex girlfriend jealous of me, so I could actually have a reason to hate her. But now, I had none and I didn't like that. I really wanted to dislike her and she made it so difficult by being so sweet to me.

I stepped away for a bit, trying to catch some fresh air. But when that didn't really help, I came back, moving to the bar.

"What would you have, ma'am?" The bartender asked, a smile glued on his face. He didn't look any older than me. He was young, tall, built and was strikingly familiar.

"Red Wine, less ice please."

"Do I know you?" I asked, squeezing my eyebrows. He chuckled, "Oh, what a shame... you don't remember me."

I waited for him to continue. "I was the man, that saved you from falling in the gorgeous red dress when you were headed with the snobbishly possessive guy," he raised his eyebrows and it took me a second but the memory came flying by. It wasn't too long ago, just on New Years— our first date.

"Oh right!" I smiled, "I didn't get a chance to thank you, though. I'm Nandini by the way."

He took my hand, shaking it gently, "I'm Ranveer, and incase you haven't noticed, I'm your neighbour."

"I can be oblivious at times, don't mind me," I chuckled as he placed my drink ahead and I took a sip. It was perfect. I smiled, showing a thumbs up as I turned away, walking to the balcony.

The fresh air hit me, and I smiled, feeling lovely again after all the loud music and prominent smell of alcohol inside the club; and that's when I saw Manik in the corner, with something like a cigarette in his hand. I was about to step in and tell him no, when I saw Inaaya's approaching figure. She told him something, I don't know what, but he threw it away, giving her a small smile.

I was surprised he listened.

I didn't want to eavesdrop, but I just had to hear the magic words she pulled. They were talking, very slow for me to hear, but I ducked into the nearby pillar to listen. I'd just listen for a minute, I swear.

They seemed at the end of the conversation when I was finally able to hear anything. What she said was too soft, but Manik's words did reach me.

"Just 'cause I don't love Nandini, doesn't mean I'm not willing to take that risk with her, for her. I am willing to give my heart to her, and no matter how it ends, it would be a privilege to have my heart broken by her" he whispered, as his eyes twinkled and my mouth almost flung open.

Not only did he speak about me, talking about loving me, but also did he quote The Fault In Our Stars.

I walked out from where I was, and went straight into the washroom to handle the emotional mess I was getting into, one drink down. I stumbled once, blame it on the drink.

I had to thank Manik. Fuck the war. I had to thank him for defending me, for speaking so highly of me, and for being the Augustus Waters to my Hazel Grace.