46. Shadows Of The Past

For some reason, I've been running very low on confidence when it comes to the content I write in Stars.

If any of you keep waiting for me to update new chapters for this book, always checking for the notification, please do drop in a comment and let me know.

Small words often go a long way. And while I'm in quarantine because of the virus, I'm sure your comments will lift me up.

~~

The cold air was the first thing I noticed when I walked out of the airport. I shuddered, clutching onto my overcoat in reflex. Wind gusted right past me, carrying dozens of fallen leaves as if autumn had struck the city in the middle of the rains. Thick layers of clouds bestowed the starless evening, painting the sky into a blend of dark blue and ash grey, making it darker than time suggested.

The news said an unexpected thunderstorm had hit the coast last night, and I could still pick the scent of raw-mud laced with the polished smell of air condition that you feel when you exit an airport.

I puffed some air from my mouth as I walked out, my little trolley bag being dragged behind me. Neon lights glowed across a billboard put high on an adjacent tower reading: welcome to London.

I leaned across one of the pillars outside, glancing impatiently at the time by my watch. My pick-up was supposed to be at seven. And now, it was a quarter past that.

Great! Not only did they have an impromptu shift of location from Milan to London, but they were also late for the pick-up. Only God knows what came over me when I signed this modelling contract. My manager was convinced I should take up only exclusive brands now and not production names, but something in my heart made me accept this one. Guess it was a mistake.

Don't take me wrong. Production houses were bigger than most exclusive brands and it wasn't everyday that they offered jobs to brand ambassadors. But, being being and elite also meant that they very often didn't show the deserved respect to models who make their campaigns happen in their first place.

In the crowds, my eyes fell upon a girl making her way to my side, with her eyes fixed upon me. She was young and pretty, and her brown eyes and short hair somehow reminded me of a pixie.

I looked around, not sure if she was looking at me because I expected a driver and not another model herself, but there was no one around except me she could be looking at.

And when she reached me, she halted, and tried to a smile but failed miserably. "I'm Jeff," she introduced herself nonetheless, and gave me her hand, which I shook reluctantly.

"Aryamman," I said in return, "Aryamman Khurrana."

"I know," she finally managed to pull a small smile. "Ivory Stars welcomes you to London, and whole heartedly apologises for the change in destination."

We begin walking and I follow her lead. "That's alright, I just wish the information would've been passed a little prior. It was difficult, and expensive, to change locations from Milan to London while halting in Singapore."

"Oh," she says, "Don't bother about that. The company will cover all the charges, including your plane tickets."

"That's.... generous," I raise my eyebrows as we reach the car, a white Volvo. She opens the boot of the car and puts my bag inside it, surprising me.

"I mean no offence," I lean on one of the doors of the car, "But don't you have chauffeurs for doing this?"

"We do." She closes the boot and looks at me, chuckling under her breath. "But they were already in Milan for the shoot by the time we changed locations."