27. Not My Manik

name: Not My Manik
word count: 4200 words
published on: 4th September, 2019

✿  ✿  ✿

[ unedited ]

[ to everyone who makes it a point to comment as much as they can, message me about the story to keep guessing what'll happen ahead and leave those beautiful messages on my board, thank you. I might not reply instantly, but I read it all, and your words make my day all the time. #TeamStars, you rock! ]

N A N D I N I

「 Five Years Later 」

"It's been six and a half minutes since you're hiding behind that menu card. Why don't you put it down and tell me what's going on in that small head of yours?"

"Why can't I be just thinking about what to order?" I retort, peeping out of the breakfast menu and keeping it down.

"There's nothing more than eggs and bacon and salad on that menu. And you're vegetarian, not much to think," he reminded, "And especially not for six and a half-- seven minutes now."

I flushed. He raised an eyebrow in return. His sharp jawline and those calming eyes always get to me. And maybe it was the full suit I was seeing in him for the first time today that made me even more flushed every time I look at him.

"It's nothing," I cover up, "Just my nerves. I don't think I'm ready to work yet. And not when I get it without an interview, on a platter. You could get better workers than me for that job."

"Work?" He squeezed his eyebrows. "Let me be the one to remind you, you're not working. It's a simple three month internship as my assistant. You'll get it on your resume, I'll get my work done, and we can get back to regular lives."

I nodded. "I know, but--" my voice faded when a brunette made her way to us to get the orders.

"A vegetable salad and black coffee for the lady, and half friend eggs for me please," He ordered.

"I don't want black coffee," I correct, "It'll be tea please." The lady took her order and left.

"Black coffee will help calming your nerves," he said.

"I hate coffee," I mumbled, whining, "Like I was saying, you're a psychologist, Zubin. Why don't you just stick to your career? Why do you want to join your Dad's business?"

"That's exactly what I want to do, which is why I am hiring you, you see. There's this important case I have, which I cannot leave. And my father wants me to help with the family business. While I handle my cases, I hire you as an assistant, you take my place-- handle meetings with my brother, be everywhere I need to be, cut me the slack for the next three months. You get the internship done, I get my case done. You're qualified for a job after that, I come back and take over. It's simple, really," he explained again.

"It's a wise decision, on your part. But what about me? I'm inexperienced. You can't just hand over your job to be just because we're friends--" I started and he cut me off.

"Best friends," he corrected and my eyes lower, "And it's three years I know you now, Nandini. If there's anything about you I know, it is that you're one of the most hard working and dedicated and loyal people I've ever met. There's no one I can trust more for this job except you. And you'll be fine. It's a small company, really, and I will be there to guide you whenever you need me. You're passionate about your work, and work is all you have to do," he convinced.