23. Chances

name:- Chances
word count:- 3500 words
published on:- 5th August, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

( unedited )

N A N D I N I

[ ten days later ]

I walked out of the classroom, holding the writing pad close to my chest as I breathed in relief. Physics was horrible. But who cares? I was done with my exams today. After a struggle of one and a half week, I was finally done.

During this, the ten days fell into a pattern. The morning I woke up after that night, Manik was already gone. His exams timing were before mine, when he came back, I was at college, when I came back, he was already studying at Cabir's or Aryamman's place, and when he came back, I was asleep. Some night, he didn't come back at all, and some nights, Mukti came over to study. I've barely got a glimpse of him in the past ten days, but I somehow felt he was ignoring me.

But I hadn't done anything wrong, had I?

As I packed my bag and walked out, I bumped into someone.

Inaaya.

"Hey... you okay?" I asked. She looked sick. Her face was paler and she looked weaker. I couldn't have been the only one who noticed. She gave me a smile, not before sneezing twice. "Yeah... it's a flu. Terrible flu. I missed an exam because of it too," she sighed, walking out with me.

"Take care, Inaaya," I gave her a smile and she nodded in response before going to her friend while I was joined with Navya.

"Nandu..." she sighed, "Yaad hai na aaj kya hai?"

I chuckled, "For the hundredth time in this ten days Navya, hum sabko yaad hai. All I can't understand is why couldn't you wait for another day. Aaj hi toh exam khatam huye hai, why did you want to get engaged just today?" I asked as we exited the college premises.

"Something about mahurat," she sighed, "My parents are very conservative that way. And plus, kal musicana hai. And the day after that, Cabir's uncle-aunt are flying to London for a holiday. Kahan time hua?"

"Okay okay!" I stopped her. "I'll be there, on time, and don't worry... sab arrangements ho gaya hai. It'll go amazing."

She nodded, taking a deep breath and giving a smile before hugging me. "You're right... it'll go amazing. And sirf engagement hi to hai. God knows why am I so worried. Okay, I'll see you in the evening, okay? And tell Abhimanyu I'm going to kill him. He could come for musicana tomorrow and not for my engagement?" She deadpanned before joining Cabir who was standing a little far, leaning on his car. He gave me a smile and waved and I waved right back.

Where is Manik?

I got into a cab, put in my location and called my dumb best friend up.

He picked up on the third ring. And then he calls himself, I quote him directly, 'busiest man in not just this planet, but the entire Milky Way galaxy.'

"Nandini, meri Nandini," he sang as he picked up.

"Navya and Cabir are really upset that you ain't coming for their engagement," I said.

"I know," he responded after a minute, "But I have this meeting I have to attend but I'll make it up with the surprise I'm planning for Mukti, and then I'd take all of them out for a treat. And what could Cabir want more than food?"