25. A Promise To Keep

name: A Promise To Keep
word count: 5200 words
published on: 18th August, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

Things to look out for after the chapter:

1. (new) COVER REVEAL

2. Authors note (optional)

3. Questions (please do)

4. BONUS SCENE! An additional (bonus) scene in Manik's POV at the very end of the pages (even after the questions); only if you'd like to read more.

[ unedited ]

N A N D I N I

They say, you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

But what do you do when you know the value of a moment?

We all have that times. That one moment with our someone special when we think 'shit, I don't want this day to end' or that 'I wish I could stop time here'; and it hurts when that moment passes away, and it never returns just the way you had feared it to be, it's your last with that someone special.

But what still makes us go on is a mere satisfaction that they're there. They're in this world and alive and maybe, maybe one day your paths will cross again and the moment will set just right and you'd feel all these emotions once again. The mere hope helps us go on, and keeps that moment alive in our memory.

But what do you do when you know that the moment you're sharing with someone has to be the last?

Because there's no more hope that you'll meet again and your paths will cross or that the last conversation is still remaining. Because they're going to die.

What do you do when you helplessly hold someone you love, knowing it's the last time because once the clock moves ahead, once the needless rotates, they'll be gone. Forever.

All through the train journey, I kept playing and replaying this scene in my mind a hundred times, how I'd act, what I'd say, all in hope that it might make me stronger to be able to tackle the situation and not fade.

But how are you ever strong enough to say goodbye to the only person left in your family?

Can you ever be strong enough to see a person you love go away and not be able to do anything about it and be okay with it?

This is exactly how I sat ten years ago, when I was told my parent's passed away. And now Amms.

They hadn't accepted it to me yet, or to themselves, but this was the one last meet I got with her. One last conversation. And I've been running through a million thoughts of everything I want to tell her, trying to cut short it into a few words that let her go in peace.

And then that was snatched away from me too.

I reached here twenty minutes ago, to know that she passed away just three minutes before I reached.

Three minutes.

I almost had her you know. I almost had the chance to see her eyes open one more time and feel her touch when she's still alive or to hear her say that she loves me or for me to say that I love her and that I'll be okay. Or that she could rest in peace.