48. Things We Do For Love

Credits to weirdosaurs for this beautiful banner. I am absolutely in love with it. Its tone just matches the vibe of the ongoing track so well. Thank you so much, love.

A U T H O R ' S      P O V

A U T H O R ' S P O V

The little boy had been pissed. He was promised being adopted would be good. He was promised he'd have a family, a real mother and a real father, and yet, as he sat on the ground, he was bored.

At age 6, there weren't a lot of things he could come up with to do in a house alone, only with a caretaker who didn't really care about him at all.

He'd watched his favourite cartoons, scribbled in all the drawing books, broken a hundred chalks, played with all his toys, and now he was bored.

He just wanted someone to play with. But his father was at office like always, and his mother was nowhere to be seen... like always.

But as if in luck, the door of the house opened and his mother walked in.

"Mom!" He happily shouted, running and hugging her foot.

But his mother, she acted differently. Her eyes were red and her hands were shaking as she leaned down to his height.

"Is he home?" She asked him, in a timid voice. He might be young but he knew when his mother was scared.

"Who?" The boy asked back, looking at the scar on her forehead. Where did she get that from?

"Your father," His mom replied, "Is he home yet?"

"No," he answered.

"Okay," she licked her lips, "But he's on his way."

"Are we having a family night? Vibhav has dinner with his family every night. Are we having that too?" A spark lit up in his eyes.

"No," his mother smiled sadly, "Your sister will be sleeping over at her friends house tonight, and Dad has to go back to work."

"At night?" He innocently asked.

She nodded, looking at her son with sympathy, "But if you want, we can play a game."

"A game?" His eyes sparkled again. He forgot how mad he was at his sister for leaving him alone for the night and his Dad for working at night. He had his mother now... and something had to be better than nothing, right?

"Yes," she smiled back, "I'm going to need you to go and hide."

"Will you find me?" He asked, jumping in happiness.

She nodded back, "But don't come out until I find you, okay? Mamma is a little weak at this game. I might take some time."

"That's okay!" He shouted in the air, "Count till 100, okay?"