31. A Secret, a Promise, and a Love

name: A secret, a Promise, and a Love
word count: 4900 words
published on: 27th October, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

N A N D I N I

Next day,
5am:

I stirred. The darkness around me was tiring, making me uncomfortable.

This is a dream, I reminded myself. I knew I was dreaming, yet being unable to break free from it.

"Nandini," I heard a whisper. I freaked, looking around myself. In the darkness, I could see someone. He was familiar, and it took me a moment to realise who it was.

"Abhi?" I shouted, running to him in the distance. But the more I ran, the farther he was pulled from me.

"It's your fault," his voice kept echoing in my ear.

I know.

"You could do more."

I tried.

"You could save me."

I'm sorry.

I gasped for air, my eyes open. The darkness disappeared and an unfamiliar dim room I could see. The windows were open, cold air flowing in along with moonlight. I palmed my face, taking a moment to recognise my surroundings.

I was in Paris. This was Manik's house and the guest room.

And slowly, last night came in. I remember Manik holding me tight, and I remember crying, but I don't remember anything after that. It's a blur, and my best guess is that I must've fallen asleep, like I always do.

And now I woke up with a nightmare; like I always do.

I was embarrassed enough about me passing out last night. What if he had to carry me to bed? God.

I tied my hair up in a messy bun and got out of my bed, staring at myself in the mirror. My eyes were home to light dark circles already, and I looked tired. Pushing my self-critical thoughts away, I took a long shower. By the time I came out, it was already an hour more, so I decided on making breakfast.

I needed to take medicines, and I couldn't take them empty stomach. In addition, it was Manik who made me pancakes last night, so I was simply returning the favour.

It took me awhile to figure out where everything was, but in another hour, I was done making some breakfast– bagels, croissants and maple sauce with toasts and boiled eggs.

And just that time, Manik got out of his room. "There's a problem," he said sheepishly, and I knitted my brows at him.

"The presentation... it got delayed to tomorrow," he said, sitting on the table and I sat opposite him.

"Oh," I smiled, "That's good, right? We get more time to practice before we present."

"Yeah," he smiled back, "And I need to go to office to check on the staff and stuff. Would you be okay until a few hours? I could come and we can go out then."

"Yeah," I said casually, "I could go, roam around. I'll be okay."

"You used to be a trouble magnet. You'd be okay?" He said, dubiously.

"Yeah," I smiled positively. I'll be okay, right?