19. Cliché

name:- cliché
word count:- 3800 words (oops sorry)
published on:- 12th June, 2019

✿ ✿ ✿

[ unedited ]

N A N D I N I

When I and Manik got back home, it was a little crossed lunch and we had eaten nothing except the cookies, which mind you, were extremely yummy but no matter how good, cookies were not lunch.

So when we were walking back home, Manik asked me for a lunch date, I said yes. He said he'd cook, I'd help set the perfect table and as well light a candle or so, and we could even pop a drink. We were celebrating happiness, 'cos who needs a reason to celebrate when being happy is the biggest reason' he had said.

So when we got home and found our friends impatiently tapping around and crowding the lobby, I had to surpass the shock.

"What are you guys doing here?" Manik had asked in shock, not being able to hide the disappointment. I pinched his arm and showed him my eyes as I tried to suppress the smile. I loved how excited he had become like a little kid promised his favourite chocolate.

"Why Manik? Did you both have some special plans?" Cabir teased, smirking.

"Yes!" Manik murmured and only I heard as I opened the door to let them all inside. I gave him a cross look and he mouthed a I hate them to me.

"We came to meet Nandini, hand over your-- our leave and got us all Chinese food for lunch," Aryamman added from behind.

"Did you just say food?" Manik's eyes twinkled, "Damn, I was just saying how much I love you guys."

I controlled every urge to roll my eyes at him and expose him as everyone laughed, settling themselves on the circle couch in our living room.

"Our leave?" I asked, attentive.

"Getting leaves for all of us is never a problem when the trustee is your best friend's mother," Aliya smiled from behind, winking. I smiled back.

"And as Nyonika Aunty heard about what happened last night, she was keen that we all take a break and go somewhere out over the weekend so that we can come back fresh and study for exams," Navya added. Nyonika Aunty was so amazing.

"Wow!" Manik said, opening the food as I brought the cutlery from kitchen for everyone and the boys pounced ahead, "so where should we go?"

My eyes met Abhi's who stood distantly in a corner, unlike himself. I raised my eyebrows, asking what, and as I was moving to him, he pulled on the biggest fake smile I had seen and went ahead to take food too. My eyes found Mukti's, who wouldn't look at me, which was unlike her too. After what happened last night, the Mukti and Abhi I knew could have called a hundred times to check on me since morning. They were behaving different, and strangely, distant from me.

"How about a four day trip to Bangkok? Nothing like going to an adult place with your best friend's. And plus, visa on arrival so no problem until we have our passports," Aliya said.

"Nope," Aryamman said with the popping p, "Let's go on a road trip. It's been so long since we had one."

"I suggest, let's shut ourselves from the world in an apartment with supplies for a few days and just chill. Nothing better than such a relaxment," Mukti suggested.

"No!" Cabir said in disgust, "Let's go somewhere where we could try new food. Like the actual, yummy food, unlimited food, all food varieties, from all corners of the world--." Cabir and his food fantasies.