28. My Nandini

name: My Nandini
word count: 3200 words
published on: 8th September, 2019.

✿   ✿   ✿

[ unedited ]

M A N I K

"You're being a selfish asshole, Manik. Everything has to happen your way, right? What about all the dreams we have seen together as a band? What about all our careers that our dependent on yours? You can't just put it away because you want to; this affects us too, Manik. I'm begging you, don't do this, please." Aliya's voice still resonated in my ears.

"What about Fab5, man? I thought we were brothers." That's all Aryamman had said. Disappointment was clear in his voice but he overcoated it with four simple words, "Let's find Mukti first."

Five years has passed by. They left, but their words never did. They haunt me-- the disappointment in their voice, the betrayal in their mind and the anger in their words. They keep coming back, no matter how much I try to throw them away, no matter how much I want to forget and let go, they keep finding a way back to my mind, to haunt me in the right spaces.

"We've reached, Sir," My driver, Dhruv, reminded me, saving me from the thoughts that were filling my head.

"I might've told you a hundred million times, Dhruv. Call me Manik, not sir. You're working with me since four years, we're friends," I smiled at him.

He took in a deep breath, turning behind to face me. "Manik," he corrected, giving me a smile. I nodded, stepping out of the car as I took a deep breath, buttoned my overcoat and walked inside my company.

Ivory Stars

It was crazy how the life I once dreaded had become a routine to me. The everyday hustle and bustle of the reception and the same faces greeting me everytime I walked in, even the colour of the walls and the familiar scent that covered the entire building felt like home.

"Manik Sir...." I heard a familiar voice call behind me as I was about to enter my cabin.

"Jeff?" I smiled, teasing, "Why are you calling me sir?"

"Because we're in the office," she glared at me, "I am your employee and you, my employer. You are my boss."

"Okay," I held back my laughter, "How can I help you then... employee?"

"I want you to meet your new assistant," She ordered, "She's just come this morning, be kind."

"Yes madam," I chuckled as she pointed at a girl standing at a little distance, her back facing us, short brown straight hair a little below her shoulder line and a forest green dress hugging the curves of her body, ending a little above her knees. "What's her name?"

"Alyssa!" Jeff called at the girl and she turned, a smile on her face as she walked towards us. "Alyssa Collins," she whispered, "Daughter of Mr. Collins, the CEO of Ralph Lauren at the moment. Be kind," she asserted, again.

"Beautiful office, Manik," the girl said as she came to me, her blue eyes meeting mine. Did no one tell her I was going to be her boss? "I just arrived. I must say, it's quite a sight," she smiled, but something about the way she was eyeing me said she wasn't talking about the office anymore.